HybridZ

Need more respect for HP here...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 1982 280ZX n/a. For a while I've been thinking about a V8 conversion. My uncle works for Chevy, and he found me a ZZ430 motor for my conversion. 430HP and 430 ft/lbs torque. My current Z being the fastest car I've ever driven, I don't think I have any idea what this would mean for me. Is a car with that much HP driveable? Oh...the transmission is a 700R4 with a 2800 stall converter. I understand that the car would be fast. Can these things take on Vipers? I understand that these conversions are not simple work and require careful planning and could take a long time to get right. My question is, do I have a good engine picked out as the basis for my conversion? What are the advantages and disadvantages of picking this V8 over another? I don't want to get into many of the specifics until I know what I'll be building around. I figure people around here have as much insight as anyone I'll find. Thanks for the help.

Sam Harwell

Sam:

THe ZZ430 is a SWEET engine. Flat torque curve, lots of torque, excellent driveability, lots of hp. This is what I've read over and over and the numbers hold this out.

Ross C can give pointers on how to proceed.

Take on Vipers? Well you'd at least be in their league for acceleration.

Just use as much pedal as you think you can handle, and learn how to use more slowly. Of course a road course driving school is a great way to learn the respect you seek.

Welcome aboard! I say go for it if you can get help from the Dad or any other wrench turners.

..On second thought, nah you don't want to do the swap. And that engine is crap. Please ship it to me wink.gif. Just kidding.

I'd LOVE to have that engine. You are a lucky guy to have a Dad to find trinkets like that!

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

YESSSSSSSSS:-)) No time to type now so it'll be short but wanted you to have some more feedback:-) Everything Pete says ditto. It'll be very driveable and that auto will really help although I'd be going stock stall as not shortage of torque on that roller setup (v. similar to what I have, but mine's not uncorked yet via air inlet and exhaust). I couldn't use any more stall than the 1800 or so I have now. Lower stall allows you to pull out easier/safer/smoother in poor conditions and give less'creep' at idle somewhat. Higher stall throws you right into a higher rpm/torque power band which IMO we don't need.

That is a great roller motor and if rest is done right (air in and out) you'll be right beside the vipers and beating those that can't drive them let alone rocking thru the corners in your lighter car (if you do susp. as well and larger treads, if not still OK for normal use). You will want a rollbar to stiffen car. and yes/yes etc etc to some driving school. You learn v. fast that when you want to go fast you don't stomp it, you (best clint eastwood voice) 'squeeze' it.

gotta crash now, but that roller 430 will be v. good:-) any lines on another? a friend in Texas is looking for one...

PS feel free to email me privately as I can't always hop in here frequently. Don't let anyone tell you handling will be ruined either, mine's 50/50 and lighter than stock with me in the trigger seat:-)

Sam, You do have a great motor/Tranny combo

for that z car. Make sure that you set the 700r4 up properly or you may have problems.

I have a 77Z with a solid roller 475HP'ish

motor and a TH350. The car is very manageable

and predictable. Only problem us the u-joints

dont last very long! I am in Conroe so if

you would like to actually see a V8Z in person let me know. I would love to take you for a ride but it will going to the chassis

shop soon for a solid axle.

Myron

Guest Anonymous

Myron, have you tried using the spicer u-joints from MSA? I was wondering how well they work. Also, how does your tranny do under 475 HP?

~Brian

I do not know what brand the ujoints are

that are in the halfshafts. I do know that they are solid though. My tranny was

professionaly built and the guy that did it builds them for those mud/swamp buggies.

He said it would handle 600+hp in a 4x4 mud

buggy.

Myron