HybridZ

LS1 "Check Engine" Light

When we were doing the LS1 install on my 280Z we really didn't want to add an additional light for the OBD II "Check Engine" light so we used an existing light. This light also flashes on as the key passes through the "accessory" position on the way to "start" to repeatedly verify that the light is functioning.

How appropriate is it that now when I go to start my car the red "Fasten Seatbelts" light flashes?!! Now if I could just figure out how to get it to also say "Hold on and Shut up".

I hear you on that Phantom,

I had a dream, in that dream, my LS-1 280z (570Z?) also used an existing light for the check engine function. Instead of the "fasten seatbelt light", though, it was the "floor temp" light, it's yellow, and already has a bulb-check function built in (when you turn the key to start!) In my dream I had a sign shop make me a custom yellow plate that said "check engine" and installed it in place of the "floor temp" light, and nobody knew it wasn't factory. It's awesome for the "fasten seatbelt" light though. If it were my idea I would put a backlit LCD in place of the factory flip-down map light, wire it up with it's own dedicated PROM, and put a seat sensor, mike, and touch sensors in the passenger side. Then, of course, angle this display towards the passenger display. When you start up the car and hold the door open for the latest scare victim, the display will SCROLL "get in, sit down", when said victim gets in the display now says "buckle up, chuck", when you start going and the victim goes HOLY S#iT!!! It'll say "shut up and hang on!" THEN, when you're going really fast, it'll display the warning "Caution: Do not open windows in excess of 120mph" and add that along with your flashing fasten seatbelt light!

I know it sounds very time consuming and complex, but it's really not when you're just shootin the bull! It would be awesome, though.

I still think you're flashing fasten seatbelt light is awesome though.

P.S.- With the display, you could then stop the car, get out, and then have the doors lock themselves, have the engine auto start, and then have the screen scroll "Remember Stephen king's Christine?...welp I'm the real deal beeatch, Mr. king changed the identity of the vehicle so I could prowl the streets to this day!" and see how fast your victim jumps from your car SCREAMING!! :) Especially if you do it on Halloween. hehehe

but really, it's a kick-butt idea! Rock on!