HybridZ

351m into a z

Guest skittyscott

Guest skittyscott

hey everybody, i have been going over my options of what i could do once i get a z. i had originally thought of putting in an lt1 or an older carbed 350 because they are so dirt cheap. but i had just remembered that we have an old 78 f150 lot truck with a built 351 in it. the motor is totally sweet, but the tranny is rough.. it "glides" into gear haha are these motors as cheap to rebuild and modify as the chevy's? also, is there a kit to put on into the z like the chevy 350?

thanx

scott

Guest dpiatkin

fords 351m is quite different than the 351C or 351W .... the M is for midland or modified not too sure which.... but the 351m is a dog !! not a very good block for performance upgrades !!!! it was produced to meet new and stricter smog requirements, and lacks in HP and Torque.

Im sure it can be done but, the "C" or "W" block would be a better choice than the "M" block.

I was also going to put a 351m into my 1979 zx, but was warned against it !! as you will most likely not get the power and torque that you are looking for...

The best or most chosen block would seem to be the 5.0L from 1989-1993 from the mustangs.

Good luck and try the search for more info on the 351m. also try all my posts for when I asked the same questions.........

If memory serves me correctly, the 351M (modified) is a long rod version of the Cleveland. I believe deck height is taller (which goes without saying), making it a larger version of the Cleveland. The bad side, it's heavier, and the aftermarket intake support is lacking. The good thing is I believe this is the same block as the 400. So if your'e going this route, then I'd look into the extra 50 cubes and try that instead.

The 351M engine bolt pattern is the same as 429-460 Big Block, so the selection of factory transmissions is limited to the C-6 automatic. If you want a manual trans, then you are looking into a custom balanced flywheel, and aftermarket bellhousing, possibly drilling the pilot bushing hole in the crankshaft...............

Guest brushwolf

Bellhousings from 400's, 429's and 460 pickups all fit 400/351M. Toploaders bolt to all these bells. Adapters allow use of t5's, Tremecs, TKO's behind 351M.400 429/460. 351M is 400 with odd pistons & crank. 400 better version and is very strong torque motor, but not good for high rev's. It is a larger version of Cleveland but taller decks, bigger cranks. Heads interchange. (I just built 410 M to put in Chev PU...) Best intake is Weiand Action Plus (new or ebay..). Flywheel is oddball because

large dia of BB, but weight imbalance factor of SB. All in all, the motor is too heavy for a Z and much as I like big blocks (or mid-blocks..), I would not put one in a Z. When a small black will still put out way more power than you need with much better handling and less fitmednt headaches, why do it? Sell the 351 to a truck guy, or trade it to somebody for a 5.0.,or even a 289..

Mike H