HybridZ

How much is my car lowered?

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

I have a 78 280Z with 195/70/14's

When I measure from the ground to the fram rails my car is 3 3/4" off the ground every where but in on little spot towards the front of the frame rails where it is 3 1/2" off the ground.

When I bought the car I wasn't even told it was lowered (I didn't know jack about Z's then).

I like how low it is when I upgrade my setup I plan to keep it this low or maybe 1/2" lower.

Dude, I'm surprised you are able to drive with that car. My (ground clearance) on my stock car is a good 8 inches all over. Be careful, there are handling issues and things can break with the car that much lower.

Must have 2x4 shocks...

Guest iskone

My car is great to drive, maybe you may not be clear how low it is.

3 3/4" from the ground at the lowest point(frame rails) isn't all that low really.

I don't have any body panels hitting the ground or anything like that.

I've been driving it for almost a year and nothing has broke other than a steering rack boot. Since the boot broke though I have to replace my inner tie rod on the driver side, because I get a knock coming from the sterring rack. My bumpsteer could be better, I seem to manage though.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should try from the fenders as the floor pan and rails can and will sag whereas the fender/rockers should be at a constant position. If you're as low as you say at the frame rail, then both your exhaust (the original problem) and your oil pan come into play. At 5.5 inches at the rocker, my comp pan sits a mere 3.75 inches off the road. I run with 2.25 degrees neg camber in front and 2 degrees in the rear on 245x45x16s. The rear has a very small flare allowing upward wheel travel to just clear. The car has been corner balanced to within 5 lbs side to side and 40 lbs front to rear with me in the car and 1/2 tank of gas. Low is great on the track and makes for a great look but limits you to the roads that will allow you to drive safely on them and transmits road vibrations right into my hands.

Why I haven't asked this question could be related to the fact I worked 70 hours last week in 6 days and two of those were 8 hrs each. Do you have coil-overs in your car? If not both your springs and shocks are most likely gone and the car sits as low as it does as a result of these spent parts. When I changed out my old suspension parts with Eibach progressives and tokicos, I was expecting a lowered Z. Instead the ride height went up nearly 2 inches. Sorry I didn't ask sooner...my bad. Get poly and all the other goodies done at the same time. Do it once...not like me.