HybridZ

welders

grumpyvette

Guest JAMIE T

I guess I'll chime in here since I've laid down a bead or two :roll: I weld 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. TIG, MIG, what ever. I have 3 shields, a gold #10(pretty universal), a gold #11, and an auto darkening #10(which is solar powered). I only like the auto lense for MIG welding. Period. When I'm TIG welding aluminum, I ALWAYS use the #11. Aluminum makes a much brighter flash than steel. When I'm welding under the car, I use the auto lense. I'm not a "safe" welder who will sit here and tell you that "oohhh... you must use every precaution to weld." What ever, weld day in and day out and YOU will KNOW what works. You'll know how to NOT get flashed in ANY circumstance. To say you MUST get an auto darkening shield is such BS. I have been trained to weld aluminum by the best in the industry(Prax-Air, yeah, the guys who supply gas to Arcet). The company I work for welds more aluminum than all the other welding shops in my area combined.

you gentelmen need to look over the features carefully before choosing the correct helmet for your application.

that harbor freight lens is lens: 3-1/4'' x 1-1/2''

this miller has a (3.85 x 2.38 in.) about 50% larger now that may not be critical to you NOW, but trust me , it does make things easier

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3802490277&category=34098

theres a very old saying

" the sweetness of low price lasts a short time compared to the bitter taste of poor quality that lasts almost forever"

or put another way,...shop carefully that helmet should last along time and youll need to live with it, remember you tend to get what you pay for, theres a DAMN GOOD REASON THAT ONE HELMETS SELLS FOR 1/5 of what the other helmets sells for

I bought the miller type with slightly larger viewing window, harbor freight has a helmet with the same lens package. I think it runs around $139 at harbor freight. The miller type cost me $169 new. I am very happy with the helmet and it has been a pleasure to weld ever since I bought it.

Guest ericmendenhall

Hey I looked at the Harbor Freight model too, but bought the Miller when I compared the response times. The Harbor Freight is MUCH slower.

I asked a professional welder, he told me to buy the fastest one possible (so I wouldn't ruin my eyes like he did before autodark helmets)

And don't forget to cover your chest and neck from the UV!

Welders often get skin cancer there.

I've got a Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175 and have had great experience with it on aluminum and steel, but you need an oxy-acetylene rig too if you want to braze. Once you have a TIG you'll never want to go back.

Guest ericmendenhall

Almost forgot -

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get yourself a copy of

"The Welder's" Handbook".

It'll be near the welders, not the DIY books.

A great source of info for just a few bucks.

• 1 month later...