HybridZ

Oil pressure drop after head gasket replaced?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Just wondering if I should worry about this or why it might be happening.

Before my head gasket blew, my oil pressure gauge would always show about 20-25psi at idle, and about 40-50psi under normal driving conditions. I notice now, after the head gasket blew, and I had the head shaved a little and put it all back together, but w/o changing anything else (still running the same brand/grade oil, same filter... all that) that now my oil pressure at idle is down to about 10psi. The pressure while driving is still around 40-50.

This is with the motor fully warmed up by the way. When it's cold the pressure is much higher, about 40-50psi at idle and as high as 70psi while driving.

Guest Aaron

If your theory in your other post is correct (that the gasket was misaligned), then it would stand to reason that the pressure would have been higher than it is now. The gasket could have been causing a restriction that caused the pressure to be higher. Just my thoughts

Guest bastaad525

ah okay... I thought it was supposed to be no lower than 25psi at idle. Alright well I wont stress it then :) and I guess now I can be fairly sure my stock gauge and sender are accurate.

Aaron - that does make sense, as well :)