HybridZ

How can I identify what fuel tank I've got?

Phyte

I've got a early 12/73 260z, but the previous owner installed an L28 from a 78 280. Its got an electric fuel pump, but I can't figure out if he bolted in a 75/76 fuel tank or not(he doesn't know, he didn't do the work). I've got an L28et going in next month and I need the 75/76 fuel tank to support the EFI. Currently the L28 is carb'd with SU's. Here's a couple crappy pics

DSC01401.jpg

DSC01402.jpg

Thanks

Phyte

I have the 75, you should have a regulator on the discharge side of the pump if it is the 75-78. Its about the size of a fig, with an adjustment screw/bolt and a lock nut on top of the diaphragm housing.

Ok dumb newb question. Did the early 260's and 240's even have electric fuel pumps? Didn't they just have manual pumps on the passenger side of the engine? I'll look at the electric pump tonight for that regulator. Any other tell tell signs?

THanks

Phyte

Sorry Phyte, The response I gave was more towards the pump in that set-up. I have the 75/L28 and if memory serves, it will be a 16gal. or 60.5lit. capacity tank with two lines for venting/press equalizing at the highest point of the tank. And two at the front, by the twist-off/access port that houses the level indicating float. The larger one supply and the other return.

:-D You have the early 240/260Z gas tank. It is used with the low pressure carbs. The fuel pump should be a low pressure unit and have a pressure regulator near the carbs (around 01 to 05 pounds of pressure). The 280Z EFI gas tank is designed to be a high pressure unit and has a high pressure pump with it (around 30 to 40 pounds of pressure or higher). Most 280Z tanks will not fit in the 240Z tank areas or 240Z tanks into the 280Z area. That is why 280Z had to go to the small/blow-up flat tire spare in the trunk/back deck area. They are both shaped different. Hope that helps you.

:-D You have the early 240/260Z gas tank. It is used with the low pressure carbs. The fuel pump should be a low pressure unit and have a pressure regulator near the carbs (around 01 to 05 pounds of pressure). The 280Z EFI gas tank is designed to be a high pressure unit and has a high pressure pump with it (around 30 to 40 pounds of pressure or higher). Most 280Z tanks will not fit in the 240Z tank areas or 240Z tanks into the 280Z area. That is why 280Z had to go to the small/blow-up flat tire spare in the trunk/back deck area. They are both shaped different. Hope that helps you.

Ok so I've got the early gas tank then. I know the 75/76 tank will bolt right into my 74 and it will support my L28et motor I'm putting in. From what I've read in 77+ they change the rearend around and the gas tanks are way different. I was hoping the guy that put the L28 in put in a the EFI fuel tank. I'll pick one up from a Z junk yard in Ft. Worth and post in the WTB forum. Unless someone here has a cheap 75/76 gas tank for me :D

Thanks

Phyte

Guest Paul Felker

you dont really need a newer tank, as long as yours is in good shape you can still use yours. what you need to do is have a little sump well added to the bottom of your tank along with a main fuel line out on it with a an fitting to go to your fuel rail.