HybridZ

Chroming inner fenders?

Guest 4.3L 280z

Guest 4.3L 280z

I was wanting to get my inner fenders chromed for my engine compartment but didn't know how much work it would be to remove them because they support the front struts right?

I was wanting to get my inner fenders chromed for my engine compartment but didn't know how much work it would be to remove them because they support the front struts right?

Wow, that would look cool but I think would be REALLY hard! The Inner Fenders not only support the struts they are welded to frame rail, part of the crossmember support (well kinda) and weld to the firewall. Maybe, I'm just a wuss but I dont see going through all that unlessI was already replacing frame rails or something.

i think that would be near impossible. you would have to cut the pieces off, very carefully so as to keep a nice straight edge, then once they were chromed, you would have to re-weld them back to the frame rails. the process of re-welding them would mar the finish....unless....you sand blasted the entire front up to the firewall, picked the car up by the back bumper and dipped it into the chroming tank. :-D

Like j240z said, the only way would be to lift the rear and dip the front. :-D There is another way, you could bend and shape some thin sheet metel panels to fit over the wheel wells, then chrome plate them and screw of pop rivet them to your front wheel well area.

Guest 4.3L 280z

I'm wanting to put a full cage in the car. How hard would it be to build it up toward the engine compartment and have it support the struts and everything front to back? Kinda like a whole frame. I though I seen a pic of one done like that on here before.

Guest 4.3L 280z

I guess what these people did wouldn't be enough would they(engine compartment photo).

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pparaska/MichaelOlsBBZ.htm

I guess what I want to do is basically build a whole tube chassis and just use the body panels and interior. Anyone know of a site or book with info on this? I know its a lot of work and money but I've got a good job and would like to make the car exactly how I want it while I have the money.