HybridZ

introduction

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all!

First time to post here, (although, I have been looking for several months)

My name is Galen Hazen, I live in Plano, TX.

I have a '73 240z, automatic and factory A/C. The engine has a bad bearing, and is out of the car, the electrical wiring is a mess and the car needs lots of cosmedic attention. The car came from W. Texas, so it's very solid and little rust. And I got it cheap.

My plan is to convert it to a 350 chevy & 700R4. I've been looking at the ZZ4 crate motor.

Yesterday, I got my new catalog from "Speedway Motors" of Lincoln, NE. (402-323-3200) they are offering a new "Northstar" engine for $2500.

Any thoughts? comments?

My first question was does anyone know what transmission would work with the Northstar?

Regards.

Galen.

P.S. I also own a 1974 Jensen-Healey with a 4.3L Chevy V6 & 700r4. It can be viewed at "www.modifiedhealeys.austin1.com" car #63.

Guest Anonymous

Galen,

Welcome!!!

You will not find any better and more helpful folks than here regarding Hybrid Z cars.

Unfortunately, I am not someone who can help you with the tranny question. If I remember correctly there was a post some time ago about the Northstar.

Chris

Guest Anonymous

Very nice swap on the Healey, looks pretty sanitary. You shouldn't have a problem with the Z swap at all. There are many people on this forum who probably have the information your looking for. One of the first thing you'll be told, so here goes, get the JTR book (Jags That Run at www.jagsthatrun.com) as it will spell out whats involved and although its about installing the Chevy SB, it has all the things to look out for that could be applied to other engines. As you've done a swap already, you know that the sticking points will be the pan and exhausts manifold. Oh well, just a little info, others will no doubt jump in.

Regards,

Lone

Galando, Welcome aboard! I like the Austin

Healy, My brother and father have 3 Sunbeam

Tigers that are cantidates for engine swaps.

I live in Conroe but work in Garland. I plan on buying a house up here pretty soon. Maybe we can hook up sometime and chew the fat. I have a 77 V8Z that is drivable but will be going into the chassis shop soon for a solid axle. You can see the car in "Members Cars" under Myrons ride. Let me know if you have any questions. I still have some leftover parts that you may be able to use as well.

Myron

[This message has been edited by MYRON (edited October 18, 2000).]

Guest Brian260ZT

Congrats on being smart enough to get a Z. smile.gif

Northstar eh? What's the weight on those? I have read somewhere (I'm looking for it now) that they are much heavier than a normal small-block chevy.

I think they are very cool engines though.

Good luck!

Galen, Welcome!

I had no idea there were so many modified Healeys! I was really impressed with those.

It seems the Chevy V6 makes a nice swap, as your pictures show.

One thing on the Z car conversion thing though. This is a personal opinion of mine, but I think others may feel the same way.

If you are concerned with handling, stay away from John's Cars conversion if you decide to do the Small Block Chevy. His kit puts the engine too far forward for good handling. The Jags That Run method is preferred by most.

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited October 18, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

The Northstar is MUCH lighter than a chevy. Its a all aluminum DOHC 4.6 litre V8 that puts out around 300 hp in its higher performance model (the other is 275hp). Nearly everything in its construction is aluminum or composite (including a composite intake manifold). Heres a picture:

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/pass46Pic.htm

IMHO, it would make a excellent engine for someone who is looking for a moderate HP engine for the Z. Its arguably one of the more advanced engines GM has produced in years.

(No I'm not a CADILLAC dealer, just have seen the engine used in a lot of roadsters and its super.)

Regards,

Lone

Parts are already appearing for it too including valve covers and headers if memory serves. One of the mags I get had a picture on the cover of it all dolled up not long ago and parts for it have been featured in several of th e"new parts" sections.

Not sure it'll swap in real easily but it's worth considering if you're not in a big hurry :-)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

I think I'LL stick with the ZZ4 SBC swap. I was just looking for some feedback on the Northstar engine.

regards.

Galen.

Anyone know if a Northstar engine would bolt to a chevy bellhousing?

I was planning on buying a junkyard LT1 to mate with the T56 I have. This article about the LT1 http://www.automotiverebuilder.com/ar/ar99928.htm

lists the cadillac fleetwood as an LT1 powered car, so I think it would be possible to use a Cadillac engine with my Camaro T56. This post got my interest because a junkyard offered to sell me a late model Cadillac V8 (don't know which one) for $800 without acessories.

I've heard really good things about this engine also... From what I've heard its expected to become a staple for hod rodder once its a little more widely available... Dual OHC, undersquare? (Bore>Stroke), and nearly a 7000rpm redline... Sounds PERFECT for a small sports car like the Z if you ask me. The only drawback on it may be price...

------------------

"THE STREETS WILL FLOW WITH THE OIL OF THE NON-BELIEVERS"

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Guest Anonymous

I just found the answer to my own question about what transmission would work with the Northstar engine.

The July 2000, Hot Rod Magazine has an artical "smog leagal swaps" in it they talk about the Cadillac Northstar.

It says, "The bellhousing bolt pattern will not readily accept a conventional rear-drive transmission, but the 700R4 from a 2.8/3.1 GM V6 comes very close."

Think they mean S-10 trans?

G.

Guest Anonymous

Its possible they are talking about that transmission. There is a company that swaps the Northstars into Fiero's so they might be a place to start as to what the Fiero uses as a bellhousing pattern (anyone know off hand what transmission it uses? I know it'll be some oddball transaxle, but maybe a transaxle version of a RWD type transmission.).

I know they likewise swap Chevy V8's into them as well, so maybe its a case of engine to bellhousing adapters.

Lone

Ps: Here is the link the to company I talked about above : http://www.americancustomeng.com/

They may or may not be of help, but I thought I'd throw out what I had seen while surfing.