HybridZ

Ka24det???

davidh

i wanted to know what are the pros and cons of swaping a ka24det besides going internal? i was thinking of doing that in a 280zx. i think it would be cheaper. well the internal part may cost a little but other than that wouldn't it tie out with the sr20det??

When I was paying more attention to the 240sx.org site, this engine was very popular with the turbo crowd. My impression was 7-8lbs boost was possible and reliable without any internal work and without an I/C. Some guys went as high as a full atmosphere with more work.

Guest ON3GO

dude im lost on what your asking.

explain it abit better...

i know a few things on turbo KA's..

so far nobody has put in a KA in a Z or ZX.. not on this site atleast.

7psi is about as high as i would go on stock internals, but make sure the car is tuned perfect and good fuel system.

internals arent that bad if you price around and get on group buys at the 240sx sites. the money part is the turbo kits, but if you can make stuff your self then its not bad.

mike

i was realy trying to say what are the pros and cons of having a ka24det that an sr20det in a zx. other than the internal mods i think the ka motor is cheaper and from what ive read has freaky tourqe. im kinda stuck on the l28 right now but ill probably eventually gonna swap out it out in the future and was just trying to see what ya guys thought of swap knowing its on the cheaper side ot sr20det swapps for the z.

there is a debate over wich engine is better over on a 240 forum heres the link:http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=56312

Guest ON3GO

theres always that debate on NICO forums.

i like the KA better then the SR but next im doing a CA18DET (510 or miata).

KA's make awesome and usable torque, and great power. tranny is super strong, and if you really mess up the motor you dont have to wait on getting a motor from japan lol.

i think a KA would be a great swap in a Z or ZX.... big turbo... YUMMM

mike

SR20 front clip is as much or cheaper than a turbo setup for a ka motor, unless you can find one used in good condition. Thats what usually kills the turbo ka idea I believe. KA is a good motor though, but the twin cam ones barely make any more power than the single cam version. I think you get 500 more rpm and 10hp or something like that, that changes when you turbo it, but then the SR20 option is still there, and its proven to take quite a bit of boost. I like Ka because they use timing chains and not belts, never been a timing belt fan myself. Sr20de came in some american spec Nissans and there are parts for them if stuff goes wrong, and its cheaper than an all out KA buildup that may or may not be faster than a sr20det setup with a bigger turbo.