HybridZ

things to do before attempting to fire

Guest gtmattz

Guest gtmattz

k i just got a couple 75 280's for a song. i am going to get one going for a daily driver, eventually to do a v8 conversion once i get the parts together. anyhoo.. i am not quite sure what i should do before trying to start the car. both were supposedly run less than a year ago, but the fuel definitely smells old. the engine i am going to start on has new plugs/wires/cap etc, but whoever was working on the car obviously did not know anything about fuel injection, as it has a low pressure (12psi) 'napa special' fuel pump bolted to the inner wheelwell right above the fuel filter and the stock fuel pump has been bypassed lol. anyway, i have a good fuel pump, so my first step is going to be to install that i suppose. before i install i should probably use the low pressure pump and clear out any of the old gas and hopefully pull out any 'goo' that has settled out of the fuel. should i pull off the fuel rail and clean that out as well? or will the little bit of bad gas in them run out fairly fast? well i guess ill find out sunday when i start working on it. i am just wondering if there is anything else i should do before trying to crank it.. it turns over fine at the crank, seems to have decent compression.

i would definately pump some new gas through the system (could be bad gas or condensation in tank), change the oil and filter (could be condensation in the block from sitting), pull all the spark plugs and check the gap, squirt a bit of ATF into each cylinder before putting the plugs back in (this will help with compression on start up and also lubricate the cylinder walls), and check the radiator. that's all i can think of.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

There are a few threads on this topic around here.

One thing I like to do is pull all of the plugs and squirt some lube in like j260z suggested, but then I crank it over with the starter with the plugs out. The low-load cranking is good on all of the parts and will help get the oil flowing through the engine and will help make sure that you get good oil pressure when you do start it up. (I dunno about ATF, but 3-in-1 oil works good. Just dont use WD-40!)

Guest gtmattz

ah! lube the jugs, didnt think about that one ;) thanks. I have checked out the radiator, plug gap etc. It looks like the last person to work on this replaced all that, as it looks brand new (well not the radiator, but it looks fine, has good coolant in it, and the hoses look good).

anoother thing i have heard of people doing is filling the fuel rail with injector cleaner and running the car like that for a bit, guess the car will run like poopoo till its all out, but that it helps get any varnish from old gas out of them. is this worth the trouble?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
anoother thing i have heard of people doing is filling the fuel rail with injector cleaner and running the car like that for a bit, guess the car will run like poopoo till its all out, but that it helps get any varnish from old gas out of them. is this worth the trouble?

Putting injector cleaner in the fuel should be sufficient enough. Going over the recommended ratio for fuel injector cleaners is going to be counterproductive... buildup comes from incomplete combustion, if there isnt enough fuel to make good combustion, you may clean out everything leading up to the injectors, but you will then be loading up the tip of the injectors with buildup from incomplete burn.

Guest gtmattz

Awesome! Thanks for the info NiC. This place is indespensable ;) any other suggestions out there? going to be doing this tomorrow morning after im done with a minor electrical problem on my sube.

Guest gtmattz
anoother thing i have heard of people doing is filling the fuel rail with injector cleaner and running the car like that for a bit' date=' guess the car will run like poopoo till its all out, but that it helps get any varnish from old gas out of them. is this worth the trouble?[/quote']

Putting injector cleaner in the fuel should be sufficient enough. Going over the recommended ratio for fuel injector cleaners is going to be counterproductive... buildup comes from incomplete combustion, if there isnt enough fuel to make good combustion, you may clean out everything leading up to the injectors, but you will then be loading up the tip of the injectors with buildup from incomplete burn.

i was thinking about the comment about loading up the injectors.. "but you will then be loading up the tip of the injectors with buildup from incomplete burn." and I was under the impression that the injectors in my Z are situated behind the intake valve, which will be shut protecting the injector from the combustion chamber, I do realise there is still the issue of loading up, but I think it would be the spark plugs that would load up, as well as increased carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and on the top of the piston. i have seen the 'snake oil' bottled stuff that claims to clear up carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, has anyone used this with any luck? I am thinking this might be a good idea to run through the engine as well.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I am not sure there are any engines yet that use injectors on the other side of the intake valve. When the incomplete burn occurs, some of the deposits will fly past the intake valve and onto the injector when the intake valve opens. The heat then hardens the deposits onto the injectors.

If you are really concerned about the injectors, I would take them out and have them sonic cleaned, or, I believe you can take them out and just soak them in clean fuel for a little while (not certain, so I'd double-check before trying that).