HybridZ

Mounted 85 olds 2 spd electric fan in turbo 240z today

I mounted the 2 speed electric fan from an 85 olds with 3.8 into my turbo 240z. It is an interesting fan because it doesn't have a shroud or much of a housing so it leaves a lot of room around the blades. There was no way a taurus fan would fit in my car. I am using a 280z radiator in the 240z. I had a little less than 3" between the water pump and radiator fins. Even with the offset the taurus fan would never work. The olds fan fits real nice and has a triangular brace that mounts to three spots, two on the bottom of the rad and one on the top. It seems to me to be very powerful on high speed, we'll see.

I wired in a 30amp relay to run the fan. Does anyone know for sure if the thermo sensor with the green wire is just a switch? I can't run my engine right now. I measured it cold and it shows an open circuit. I am hoping that when it is hot it shorts to ground, then I can use it to turn on the relay. If nobody knows for sure I will check it out next weekend when the engine is running again. I am only going to use the high speed setting of the fan.

BTW, I trimmed the taurus fan I have as much as psooible and it is still a little more than 3" thick by the blades, even more where the motor is. Not sure how anyone else get thems to fit, unless they have a different radiator.

Sounds good Moby. Send me some pics if you get a chance - Jersey@cptclabs.com Worried with summer coming that i'll be running a bit hot with my single puller. And i dont have the room like others do for the taurus fan either :? If you could dip the sensor in a pot of water with a temp gauge, then you could see if and when it completes the circuit.