HybridZ

Dead fuel pump wires

Tekira

Hi, Sorry about all the posts but if the fuel pump doesn't work i cant drive. I got a new eletric pump For my 74 260 and installed it today. i hooked up the wires and the pump doesn't even turn on, no power. The problem is that the lead wire, 12 volt power source, is not connected to a 12 volt power source. The wire from the pump to the body harness is connected, but after that i have no idea where that wire goes. i do have a wiring diagram but i cannot follow it. I need to know what powers the line to the fuel pump and where its is connected. Is it on the fuse box. or can i just run a line from the pump to a 12 volt power source, need a list of items with a 12 volt power soucre. I need help badly and i have had justt about all i can take of that wireing diagram.

Thx,

Josh.

It appears you have an early 260Z(As I do), so the electric pump works off of a relay(ignition relay actually) which is located on a bracket just above the passenger kick panel under the dash. More then likely replacing this relay will fix the problem, but I would suggest you find a known good one to try before forking over the dough, if possible. If it is a "have to get home to feed the kids" type of thing, you can run a "hot" wire from a fuse that is powered by the key being in the "on" position. I would not use this as a perminent fix since this eliminates the relay which shuts power off to the pump in the event of an accident. This ofcourse helps keep you from having a crispy Z and possibly a crispy body.

Hope it helps.

• 1 month later...