HybridZ

Another No Spark Question

BayAreaZT

Trying to fire up my 240 with a 83 L28et and I'm not getting any spark. I went through the FSM and checked the ground circuits and all the components I could the ECU connector. Everything checks out except the resistance readings on the AFM are really low. I get 12V at the ignitor but it drops to like 6V during cranking. Jumped the coil straight to the battery and there was spark but the car did not start. Would a bad AFM or bad CAS/distributor cause the engine not to start? I know there is fuel. The fuel pump turns on and I'm getting good pressure.

Having good fuel pressure is one thing, but I've heard the tale many times of injectors being seized up from sitting. (it happened to me too) The solution to that problem is to remove the injectors and use a small nail, toothpick, paperclip, ect, and poke the injector needle to free it up. Usually the injectors will work after this.. I'm not saying that this IS the problem for your car but something to consider. If you want to find out for sure take off one of the large hoses off of the intake manifold and get a propane torch. Stick the torch tip inside the hose and let the propane flow into the manifold for a minute or so.. (it actually takes a fair bit of propane) Once there is propane in the engine turn the engine over and it "should" sputter and fire a bit. Of course not enuf for it to start but if you hear some firing going on where there was none before.. you'll know it's a fuel problem.

You're getting spark when you hook the coil straight to the battery and you know you're getting fuel because the plugs are wet? Where did you check for spark - at the plug or just right out of the coil? If you're getting spark while cranking at either or both of these places, the CAS, AFM or the IGNITOR shouldn't be any of your problem. If you're getting spark at the plug while cranking and you say you know you're getting fuel because the plugs are wet, then you might have a compression problem. If you're getting spark out of the coil but haven't checked directly at the plug, i'd start there. Might be something as simple as corroded dizzy cap or rotor. Let us know how you make out.