HybridZ

serious drivetrain questions

Guest KillerZees

Guest KillerZees

I have a few questions about different trans options on a 350 chevy. I know the prime trans to use in my 240z would be a 700r, but the person who i am doing the project with who is a chevy guy sez go for the 350 turbo its easier cheapier and you can get a hell of a shift out of them. But many of the guys on the site said the 350 is not a good trans for the z because they have no topend. I was wondering if anyone has this trans and how they have it set up. I would also like some info on different rear ends that are easy to put in and what gear ratio would work best with the 350. I have seen z cars with ford nine inch rear ends and I was advised by my friend to go that way but I dont know what is involved with that, so I am open to sugestions the cheapier and easier the better. I am looking for a street driveable race car that has some topend and a rear end that wont break with a v8 on a 100 shot. The reason I would like to make this work is because my friend will sell me his monte carlo he put a fresh motor and trans in about 10k ago for $1750, that'll keep my budget down. Any info would help I only wanna do this swap once....for now.

I would run the t350, i like em, ive seen em hold up to built bbcs, buddy has a 468 with a t350 behind it and goes hard with it and its not the weak link.

if its a weekend warrior drag car, might be a good idea

thing that sucks with that trans in a z with the v8 swap is once youre on the freeway, youre stuck around 55-60mph.

sounds like you can get a good deal on a motor and trans, i would go for it. if you do the swap with the 3 speed first, i would shop for a 2004r trans later, its close in size to the 350 and would probably take less mods to install.

Guest KillerZees

I have heard that the t350 is good and easy to beaf up so i do wanna use it. The real question i had was if there was anyway I could rig up the rear end with different gears that would allow me to still run a good 1/4 mile but would let me cruise up to about 70-80 mph somewhat comfortably. I have had trouble finding info on how difficult it is to switch rear ends. I have seen datsuns with 300zx, infinity, ford and chevy rear ends in a variety of gears but I do not know what is invovled in installing these and how each one would work with a t350. Any input from someone who has a t350 mated to something else besides a r200 datsun rear end would help alot I wanna see if anyone made the t350 more streetable and if they would recomend it.

Guest Aaron

The trans you pic will not determine which rear end you can install. It will influence your rear end gear, and therefore may limit your rear end choices. Do a search and you will find all the info you need on swapping rear ends. We have R200's, R230's, Chevy 12 bolts, Ford 8.8's, just to name a few documented on these forums.

Guest KillerZees

i have done many searches and read many topics. I know you can use any rear end with any trans as long as the drive shaft hooks them up..Im not that dumb. But I dont wanna go guttin and rebuilding different gears in the rear end. Ive seen 3.9 r200, Ive seen infinity and 300zx rears with 3.75 (i think) and fords in any shape and ratio imaginable. There was a few large discussions about r200 and r230, cv joints, cost, etc. But i could not find info pertaining to different geared rear ends on a t350. I was specifically interested in finding a combonation of gears that allow the t350 trans to have some hiway ability without dropping the 1/4 mile time a bunch. Thats what I have asked like three times. what rear end set up would handle a 350sbc on a 100 shot, be reasonable cost and doesnt require a lot of custom fabing, would be mainly for racing but would allow me to drive faster than 60 mph at a comfortable rpm. I dont wanna drop a lot of time and money into a rear end settup just to take it apart and regear it a little. I have a good amount of info on the r200 and 230 just not with the fords and infinity and other types of setups...by the way everytime I search it comes up with no replies lately.

Why don't you go here: http://www.car-videos.com/tools/speedrpm.asp and plug in tire size, rear end ratio (try 3:54, 3:90, and 4:11), and transmission gears. It will spit out speed and rpm numbers so you can figure out what rear end ratio you need based on your target engine rpm for highway cruise. Once you have the ideal ratio for whatever engine/trans combo you're building you can determine if an "off the shelf" R200, R230, etc. is a solution.

Guest KillerZees

that helps. I think t350 isnt practical but i am confused. I dont know if I have the $ to do a 700r4 and I heard the 200r are weak transmissions and would take alot of work to shift well and handle the power. The 6 speed sounds nice but the autos are generaly running way quicker than the manuals if im not mistaken. Would you guys still buy the monte carlo with 10k on a carbed 350 and a t350 setup for $1750 just for the engine.