HybridZ

long-term storage of rebuilt short block

This was asked before (I vaguely recall reading the post), but I couldn't find it - so, to ask again...

How long can an assembled short block be stored on an engine stand, before the assembly lube leaks out from the bearing journals, necessitating tearing into the rebuild? After a month on the engine stand, I noticed some leakage from the crank main bearings. I was wondering how many more months I could safely wait, before full assembly and break-in.

That would ultimately depend on the exact assembly lube used, but as thick as most are, I'd say almost indefinitely. I'd worry more about keeping dust and moisture out.

Long term storage of running engines can be enhanced by the use of "fogging oil" (available at boat shops for off season outboard motor storage) sprayed into each cylinder.

Some of my friends in the past bought some $44 dollar army Jeeps. The engine was filled completely with oil and they were in storage for over 15 years that we knew for sure. This has been a while ago. They bought 5 and basically made two work with all the parts. I know I had a block with Luberplate that was covered inside and out with that mess for about 3 years and we made it work with little effort.

Robert

Some of my friends in the past bought some $44 dollar army Jeeps. The engine was filled completely with oil and they were in storage for over 15 years that we knew for sure. This has been a while ago. They bought 5 and basically made two work with all the parts. I know I had a block with Luberplate that was covered inside and out with that mess for about 3 years and we made it work with little effort.

Robert