HybridZ

LT1 VS LS1

I sold my old Z-car to (1fastz) It was a 383 carb that would run low 11's all motor. But now I want to build my new 1972 240z with a more modern motor. I like the LS1 engine alot but it looks like more problems than the LT1. For the price of a LS1 engine I could put a lt1 in and have $$ left over for lt4 heads hot cam lt4 intake and the lt4 would make more power. Is there any reason to go with the ls1 over the lt1 other than weight?

Thanks

The LS1 is a technically superior motor. The dimesions(stroke, rod length, etc) make it a fast high reving engine. The LT1 also has the opticrap distributor. On the other hand, the LT1 is much more of a bolt in while the LS1 requires custom engine mounts. Just my .02 worth. Good luck.

Danny

Guest Anonymous

mas280, Your lt-1 is my motor. I put the lt-1 in stock form in my z, debugged and then did the hot cam and lt4 heads. Car is a monster. I replaced the optispark when I did the heads and cam and have never had a problem with it. Mark

You have to enjoy scratching your chin and saying "what do I do now!?!" with an LS-1 installation. It can be done. Lone Star 1 is a living, running example of it BUT there will be problems with finding a spot to locate your accessories - unless you give up on AC, exhaust routing challenges - especially on the drivers side, serious decisions about how you're going to do your fuel injection pump, pressure regulator, and tank, how you're going to route your heater hoses, how you're going to "hybridize" your gauges - LS-1 trannies have electrical outputs for speedo & odo - and the list goes on.

If you want a relatively straightforward, reasonably priced conversion go with the LT-1.

Phantom, as far as I know, all of the problems you mention (wiring, acc. brackets, guages, etc)are true of both the LS1 and LT1.

The primary difference is the actual engine mounting. The LT1 can use JTR, the LS1 cannot. So it becomes simple kit, versus hand made fabrication.

The major pluses for LS1 are lower weight and more refinement. But the mounting puzzle is a tough one.

FWIW, the T56 for LS1 seems to be less expensive than the one for LT1 - higher availability and less demand apparently. I think at this point, an equiv. mileage LS1 will likely run slightly cheaper than the LT1.

Jeromio, the wiring is not a problem on the LS1or lt1 they are about the same. I have a weelder so I can make some mounts, I made some for a z-car with a Ford 302, so it cant be that hard. The problem that I see are the manifolds and acc. I will like to see how your car comes out. Right now I am build the car, paint roll cage-brakes. So it will be about 6 months before I pick the motor that I want to go with.

Mike