HybridZ

dying leather seats???

utvolman99

Has anyone had any experience dying leather seats? I currently have tan leather Miata and was going to paint the car black and use tan carpet. The more I think about it though I may be going a different direction and am wondering if my seats can follow me. I have been looking at this company for both dying and crack repair.

http://www.leatherique.com

I used the kit from Leatherique to dye my leather seats from Burgundy to black. They came out great. The company makes an excellent product. The key to getting a good job is in the preparation of the leather. Preparation of the leather is the key to good results and takes the longest time, so don't rush it. I worked on my seats for almost a week, on and off, letting the solutions work as per the instructions. Scariest part was wet sanding the leather with 400 grit paper and their solution. Yes, WET SANDING!!!!!

The company offers a discount to car club members, I believe I paid around $125 for the kit, last year. The kit had a quart of several different chemicals, which is enough to do several seats. I propbably only used a few ounces of the actual dye. Good Luck, AL

From your experience with the kit do you think it would be possible to die the seat two tone? I was thinking about dying the center section the color of the car (If I go orange) and the rest black or Leave the center section tan and die the rest of the seat black. Do you think it would work or do you think it would seep through the leather under the tape? I would be using the seams in the seat as a guide.

The prep processs involves removing all dirt, oils and dried dyes form the leather, opening up the pores allowing the dyes to penetrate into the leather.I think it would be difficult to not allow the dye to get under any tape. If the seams are just sewn together, the dyes may blend into one another and not give you a clean line. If the seams are separated with a vinyl "piping", you may be able to mask off the piping and get decent results. I would clean and prep the entire seat and do the black section first. After that has dried, I would try the other color. If the results are not good, you can always dye the entire seat black. You can also call "leatherique" and discuss this with them, they should be of some help. AL