HybridZ

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME..PLEASE

I am in Okinawa and almost finished with my rebuild and damn...I broke the top off of my rear main bearing cap while torqing the oil pump bolt. This a two piece type seal cap. The engine is a 1975 4 bolt mains but of coarse the rear main cap is only two bolt. Well I have searched everywhere for this damn thing and NO ONE sells them. Can someone help me in getting one please...I am dead in the water with out a replacement. I know I have to align hone and all that but I need a replacement. Grumpy, are you out there? Any suggestions as to where I can buy this cap? GM doesn't make them anymore.....HELP!!!!

CorZette

Guest 280ZXT83

I can get you one, but have no earthly idea how to get it to you. Or how much that would cost. I'll ask the obvious and stupid question:

Ain't no stinking junk yards around there??

You OK to re-imburse me for getting it there? It will be coming from Eureka, MO.

Jeff P

280ZXT83.

Man, you guys are great! Thanks Grumpy and Jeff for your help. I just can't believe these caps are so hard to get...from the states even. Grumpy, I have E-Mailed Jeff as well but if you can give me a price I can figure out which one to get. Also, let me know how much you want and how to pay you. Here is my address:

GySgt Terry Baldwin

PSC 557 Box 2754

FPO AP 96379

1975 4 bolt main SBC 350 rear main bearing cap (two piece seal type).

Also, do you think I would get lucky and not have to align hone on a used one with new bearings?

This goes to San Fran Ca., then the military sends it from there free.

:D

Grumpy, too cool.Thanks very much for the help. Yes this is my address. FPO AP just stands for the Foreign Post Office for the military. This is my Post Box here in Okinawa. Ill send you a money order or pay pal for the shipping! I thank you, the Marines thank you, and CorZette most definately thanks you. OK...what do you want from Japan?

Terry

the rear cap was mailed to the address you gave me first thing this morning :D hope that takes care of all your problems. btw be very carefull when you tighten the stud/bolt holding the oil pump because if your not carefull the tip of the bolt bears on the bearing underneath and binds the crank and if much preasure is used torqueing it down , cracks the cap. you might have used a stud/bolt that was too long last time and that can and will crack the cap MEASURE EVERYTHING BEFORE TIGHTING IT DOWN TO THE RECOMMENDED torque setting for testing purposes assemble the oil pump to the cap before installing it (the cap) on the engine and check how far the bolt tip protrudes through the cap, if more than a few thousands grind the bolt tip shorter in length untill it sits flush with the inner cap surface after thats checked then put the cap on the block and reinstall the oil pump :D

Unbelievable! Your awesome. Thanks very much. Well I may be a celebrity here soon when we start bombing Iraq. Not that I know anything but 2 plus 2 does still equal 4 right? MAybe I can take my Z over there and race the camels!!!

CorZette.....chillin like a villian...

Maybe Ill change my name to:

Grumpy Zette :D

Grumpy sorry for the late reply...no I haven't got it yet but I am sure it will come soon..usually takes about two weeks. I can't wait..Im going crazy. I still need heads, rockers, rollers, push rods and intake. Well Ill get the heads next month. Since my monthly allowance is $800, I should be able to speed things up after getting the heads. I am still undecided on those damn headers. I am leaning towards the hooker full length because they have a part number for them and they sound better than the sandersons as far as fit and price. Will putting those block huggers on really take away power from me?

TB

full length headers in nearly every case produce a higher and wider torque curve, yeah I know they cost more and are harder to get fitted in some cases but thats just the way it is, sorry ;)

BTW don,t rush things, settling for less than ideal parts or machine work almost ALWAYS causes regrets on the part of those that try to speed things along rather than get them done correctly, (I know I have done it in the past and surely wish I had done the work differantly on my own car in years past)