HybridZ

DRIVESHAFT LENGTH

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a datsun 280z 78 i currently have about 6,000 or 7,000 into this project.i just dropped the engine in i have a 355 v-8 with a turbo 350 auto trans,i can't find my jtr book and i need precise driveshaft measurements and how much it should run because i have gottne estimates from 70-240 dollars.i think the book told you exactly the length for my combination with their kit does anyone know the measurement and one more question a nissan dealership guy said that the 82 or 83 datsun 280zx 2+2 auto has a 4:10 rear gears is that true because i have one of those for parts thanks. :confused:bonk.gif

Guest Anonymous

"For a turbo 350 transmission, the dimension is 23.5 inches" This dimension is for the 1972 or newer differential position and the HEI distributor positioned 3/4 inch from the firewall,It is best not to rely on this 23.5 length and measure when the engine and transmission is mounted in the car. per JTR instructions

TZ is right. Measure once you have everything in position. Any good driveline shop will explain how to do it flawlessly. The one I used even had printed instructions on how to measure it. I believe I paid about $120 to shorten and "weightless" balance.

my 81 280ZX came out exactly 27" center to center on the ujoints, and cost 160 bux. Of course, I had them splice the driveshafts instead of using chebby ujoints on both sides, and it was 50 bux to replace the datsun "non-replaceable" ujoints. 27 inches was also slightly too long, didn't even have enough slip to remove the driveshaft from the pinion flange in the diff without unbolting the tranny and dropping it about 3". no where near enough slip fore and aft, and it vibrates horribly. Fixing that now, though...

Bill

Guest greimann

You definately need to do your own measurments to get the right drive shaft.

Also, no ZX came stock with 4.10 gears. The highest ratio was 3.9 in an 80 - 82 non-turbo with r200.

Mine was 20.8" from the center of the front ujoint to the flat mounting surface on the diff. Very short shaft. My car is a 240Z with a T5. I think they used 2 3/4" tubing for it, not sure exactly, but it is much beefier than the stock size. He gave me a piece of the tubing to bring home and make sure it would clear the ebrake, very nice of them. It was $60 for the driveshaft yoke that I brought home to measure and another $150 for the other new ujoints, welding, balancing, finishing, etc. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Guest Anonymous

I measured mine by pushing the driveshaft yoke in all the way, and then pulling it back 3/4" then measure the CENTERLINE of the yokes u-joint cup to the CENTERLINE of the differential carrier u-joint cup. Write down this measurement and tell the driveline shop this is the dimension CENTER TO CENTER. They should know what to do from there.

Regards,

Lone

I agree. Measure it.

I did what Lone did, but I just pushed the slip yoke all the way into the tail of the tranny, and measured from the forward-most edge of the U-joint hole in it to the forward-most edge of the U-joint hole in the flange yoke that bolts to the diff flange. Measuring to the edge of the U-joint hole was easier than trying to keep both ends of the stick/rule/tape in the center of the holes. You can of course use either the forward-most edge of the hole, or the rearward-most edge, just use the same edge at both holes.

After I had that measurement, I subtracted 3/4" to get some play in it. I think I came up with 19.75", but that's for my 240Z with a SBC and a Tremec 5spd and R200.

Man good thing I don't have driveshaft envy.

16 7/8" u-joint center to center. Sounds like I get the shorty award. With the 4.3, aftermarket Tremec T56. Intend to use it on the 383. Besides its not the length of your driveshaft...I agree with Lones method 3/4". Most movement is out of transmission.

John

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

For a 2004R transmission with the engine in the JTR position placed in a 1977 280 Z, the drive shaft length is: 22.5 inches from U-joint centerline to U-joint centerline with the yoke set our about 3/4 inches