HybridZ

Sunroof has got to go

Muskrat

I've gotten to the point in my Z buildup where I'm ready to start strengthening the chassis to handle the torque of the V8. Unfortunately, my car is rusted to the point that it needs both new floorpans and pan rails. In addition, the car is tweaked in several areas, I would assume from collisions over the long years of its life. I have decided after long hours of staring at it that I should save myself some grief and get a bare chassis from somewhere, and do my structural mods from there.

Well, I found exactly what I needed, in the form of a '73 240z bare chassis, just three hours from my house. Fully sound insulated, underbody completely stripped and resealed, no chassis rust, front frame rails are beautiful. Just one problem... it has a SUNROOF. :puke: (sorry sunroof owners)

Since the chassis on my current 240z is going to be trashed anyway, how difficult would it be to use part of the roof to 'fill in' the sunroof section as if it were never there in the first place? I'm sure someone here has been crazy enough to try this, any input would be wonderful. Thanks. :D

Guest 280zMan1978

all you should have to do is cut the same area out of the parts car and make it slightly larger than the hole then mig weld it from the inside of the car. then all you would have to do is spread a thin layer of fiberglass over the top of the roof just enough to seal the roof and make it smooth im sure that would work

Eric Neyerlin from Zparts.com doesn't seem to think that welding a patch panel into the roof is a good idea. Apparently the roof material is very thin and prone to warpage. I tend to believe him, since the roof skin is one large unreinforced span.

What you might consider doing is either cutting a patch from the donor car approximately 1" larger than necessary and forming a recessed lip so it fits flush with the existing metal, sort of like a flanged plug. Then bond this plug in place and fill in the gap.

The recommended method (or so I'm told) is to use the entire roof from the donor car. Maybe you can turn it into a convertible at the same time you fix your hybrid!

Guest 1975yellowBSPZ

there is a lot of info on this on the classzcars forum. Apperently every other Z in AUS has has a sunroof cut in it! I'd check over there.

Bw

ps haven't got the yellow screamer running yet... broke a head bolt...

Thanks for the info guys, after careful consideration I think I'm going to let a friend pick this one up, he needs it more than I do at this point (NO passenger framerail).

RPMS - I didn't realize until the other day just how thin the roof material really is on these cars. A good thump with a balled fist put a noticable dent in a totaled Z roof.

1975yellowBSPZ - You're welcome to one of my used non-turbo ZX headbolts if you dont want to buy a whole new set from Courtesy.

I just recently had the roof on my 240Z "reskinned" by some bodyshop professionals. They said it WOULD NOT be a good idea to chop the old roof off and weld in another. They left most of the old roof intact and cut only the skin off of the donor roof to use. I also had them shave the drip rails and side vents at the same time. It came out great and I'm glad I don't have a pathetic moon roof anymore!

Davy

Actually welding in a section in my ook is not a good idea, the roof wil flex like an Amsterdam prostitute, I think welding on a new roof is a way, i dont see how this would be a bad idea aslong you take in acount the pre tension (when you cut of a roof you will se the car 'flex in') the roofs are welded on like this from the factory.( as long as you have the right tools and skills) But as you state the is no damage by rust or whatever in the roof pillars or structure.

This is what i would do, you would not need to cut of the intire roof, since it is a skin, that lays ontop of the actual structure... by welding it on al corners it will not be prone to warp, and does not have to be bondoed in a flex area like a roof, but a solid area..

this way you will save yourself a massive pain in the #@$ trying to smoothen out something like a roof, the people that can do that are real artist! since the roof is not simply a flat surface but has a curve, man even thinking of filling up warps or diffrences in levls scares me.

So i would reskin it let us know what you will deside

just my 02 cents

I just recently had the roof on my 240Z "reskinned" by some bodyshop professionals. They said it WOULD NOT be a good idea to chop the old roof off and weld in another. They left most of the old roof intact and cut only the skin off of the donor roof to use. I also had them shave the drip rails and side vents at the same time. It came out great and I'm glad I don't have a pathetic moon roof anymore!

Davy

dood how do you see the stars with your honey!!! :) at least my s130 has an open cockpit to the sky hehe

I think davy's way is teh way to go, as statet in my previous post