HybridZ

How I spent my Saturday afternoon

Guest comeandzpa

Guest comeandzpa

Saturday afternoon I spent 3 hours working on the 3 holes on my passenger-side floorboard and spare tire compartment. Used a drill w/ a wire brush bit to get rid of the old rust, some epoxy to fill the hole over the frame rail, a piece of steel plating to cover the exposed fuel lines, and some pop-riveted sheet metal to cover the other holes. Check out the pictures here:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287174831

Looks like good work, BUT, that is exactly the way my floorpans were fixed in my car when I bought it. Pop riveted and epoxy over the previous problem holes. It worked for a while but buy the time I got the car, the flexing and such of the body had popped some of the epoxy seams and allowed water to get trapped between the new galvanized metal and the original floor which = more rust :(. I know you spent alot of time on this but it won't last forever. SO, if you are planning on driving this car for a while, I would suggest cutting out the floorpans and replacing them.

I had never done it before, and with a little welding training from a buddy, I replaced both floor pans my self. Took about two full weekends of cutting, shaping and welding.

My costs were minimal, about $30 bucks for way more 18ga sheet steel than I needed. Borrowed the welder, you can use a jig saw or cirular saw with an abrasive blade to make your cuts, works very well! Just lay out all your cuts, measure twice and you will be done in no time!

Just my .02, not trying to get you down!

Guest comeandzpa

I'm well aware of the fact that these won't last too long. Right now I'm just trying to keep the car together until I can replace it, as I'm going to need transportation to work in the summer. Also, I've created a gallery in a Yahoo account so that non-imagestation members can see them. Check that out here:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/tuckshop25