HybridZ

ORIGINAL O2 SENSOR.

Guest wolfztech04

Guest wolfztech04

Hello everyone. :)

Well....During my ongoing investigation of my new 83 280ZXT, I was going to replace the O2 sensor, and a new AFR meter. I soon discovered that the previous mechanic :shock: had rounded the O2 nut. SO how am I going to replace the ORIGINAL O2 sensor? :x

Thank you for any tips.

KROIL!

I took mine out with Kroil, letting it sit undisturbed overnight.

That let it break free.

You may want to remove the downpipe casting, and clamp it in a vise so hooking on a pipe wrench to extract it would be a bit easier...

If that fails, heat the casting area around it red-hot with a torch, and quench the sensor in water, or KROIL, and try again. They can be a real bear sometimes.

If you booger the threads, you can use an 18mm Sparkplug Thread Chaser to clean up the mess.

Good Luck Man...

Guest wolfztech04

Kroil?? I've never heard of that before. I'll check out the autoparts stores around here. I just might have to remove the DP, and now it looks like that might be my only hope. I rented an oxygen sensor removal socket from Autozone and to no avail, rounded the nut even more, even after allowing the sensor/DP to fully cool and soak in some WD40 for 20-30min. Finally with a breaker bar the socket skipped twice and pretty much rounding it off for good. So I think that removing the DP will be my only choice. Then tackle that O2 with a pipe wrench.

Thanks for the info.

After installing the AFR meter, the meter was lean (bar 3 out of 11) this definatley caught my attention quick and want to resove this issue A.S.A.P, If anyone could offer tips and or advice to this issue I would really apreciate it. Could the O2 sensor be to blame? It read lean before I even touched the leftover work.

Thanks.

WD40 is a simply MISERABLE and USLESS penetrant. It is terrific for it's originally designed usage (Water Displacement) but for this kind of work, you may as well hit it with a rock! LOL

Try finding some PB Blaster locally, if you cant find Sili-KROIL. It's manfactured by Kano Industries, and comes in an orange can. I only use WD for sparkplug wires, cleaning stuff after steam cleaning, and spraydown of blocks after caustic cleaning and water rinse...

I use KROIL for everything I used WD for before being similarly enlightened. You don't know how well penetrating oil really works until you find some! You will never used WD again for penetrant after using Kroil or PB Blaster.

You might search Google for Kroil or Kano Industries. PB Blaster is sold in PepBoys and Autozone now I believe. It was hard to find before, but recently has been marketed a bit more effectively. Hurrah for the Justice Brothers for finally marketing it better (same people who brought us JB Weld I believe...) :D

Guest wolfztech04

Tony D

Thank you for the enlightening :D I may still have hope. Tomarrow I will be on the hunt for either Kroil or PB blaster. If I can get that O2 sensor out without removing the DP, I'll owe it all to you. Thanks.