HybridZ

opinions on rotisserie design

tannji

Anyone want to look at a couple of designs and give me some feedback, especially those who have either made their own, or have problems with the ones they used? I am thinking about making a rotisserie soon, and would like as much input as possible before I start it.

I particularly like the adjustibility of this one, and it's tensioners.

http://www.theroto2000.com/index.htm

Nice look here too.

http://www.carrellcustomwelding.com/autotwirlerplus.htm

I think I want the under-car cross bar as well, makes sense to me. The hydrolic jacks are inexpensive.

Thanks everyone!

The vertical adustability is a nice feature but how much does it add to the price? I have the address of a guy who makes a similar unit with the brackets for whatever type Z you have. $325 includes shipping to your door. No vert. adjust though.If the one you are looking at is 800 to 1000 (i did'nt see a price) you could buy a used lft for just a couple hundo more. I am very glad I picked one up. It has already cut several job times in half or less!!!

I have his website and email address on my computer at work. He seemed like a real cool cat. He will even send you his drawings for free if you want them. But for the price I think it is worth having him make it. The only thing it does not have but could easily be added is the middle piece that attaches both ends. It makes shipping more difficult and expensive. Also if you want casters it is an additional $50. Still a bargain though. If I had not gotten such a sweet deal on mine I would have bought one. I will shoot you the addresses and drawings tomorrow. I had him send them to me.

The plans that you are discussing are great. If I may, I chose a more simple and inexpensive route and have had ZERO problems with my rotisserie. I bought two engine stands from Harbor Freight when they were on sale, some appropriate size square tube steel scrap from the local yard, and cut and extended the vertical 'spine' and rear 'axles'. Then I made and 'adapter' piece to bolt onto the bumper mount locations.

It has worked perfectly, I can spin the car freely like a 'barrel roll' in an airplane, and I have no hesitation about working underneath it.

My total investment was under $140, and it was my first welding 'lesson'. Had never welded before, so a perfect opportunity to learn and hone my 'skills'. Since the rotisserie is pretty inconsequential as far as looks goes, I couldn't have had a better first phase project.

If you anticipate many future uses for the rotisserie, then using your other source is probably the way to go; but, once I'm done I'll just get rid of it to some local hobbyist and be done with it since the investment was minimal.

I went to Harbor Freight a couple of weeks ago and had a similar thought... the stands are CHEAP.... but I decide that as cheap as they were, it wouldnt save me much money, as I want a wider base, lockable wheels, taller mast. If I could find some that were heavier, with a really nice turning assembly, I might grab them, as that would be a better starting point. Because of space constraints within my (as yet unbuilt) garage, I need to be able to have the Z in the air all winter, but still be able to move it aside when involved in a higher priority project. (like new cabinets for the kitchen.... :roll: )

I really like the adjustable features as well.... I think it would be nice to have the car already bolted up to the rotisserie when I go to remove the suspension.... no jack stands, or jacks, or anything else in the way.... just lift one end, remove suspension, lift other end and remove, then jack the whole thing up and spin.