HybridZ

Turbo swap progess: part II - it's running!

Sean73

Well, it's all together and running.

It was a comedy of errors to get this thing to start. Here are some of the mistakes that I made:

Engine cranks, but no fire, and I found these problems:

1) The distributor was rotated 180 degrees.

2) I was using the wrong CAS

3) The CAS chopper was upside down.

4) I neglected to feed battery power to my fuse block for the ECCS (doh!)

Engine fires but won't idle.

6) Swapped ECU, and that fixes it.

Engine idles but won't rev above 2K.

7) Suspected MAF. Tried 3 different replacement MAFs, and the problem persists.

8. Bad connections found in MAF electrical plug - spliced in new one.

And finally, after fixing all these things that I thought I triple checked, it runs and drives now.

I took it for a spin, and it is SCARY :D fast! For the first drive, I kept the boost down to below 6 psi. At 6psi it feels incrediblly powerful, at least compared to my old SU-carb L24. The sound of the turbo spooling is out of this world! Next step- tuning and a little more debugging. I'll have some pictures of the completed install tomorrow.

Sean

240Z L28ET, T3/T04E NPR IC, Z31 ECCS

congrats on getting your car going, I remember how excited I was, my only mistake was grounding the tach wire and frying my coil...oops :shock:

as for your dist errors, how did you get it in 180 off ? it onlly goes in 1 way ? and the cap only fits one way ? you get the wires on the cap wrong ?

as for scary fast, I am sure it won't take you long till you need to be faster, boost is addictive

My name is Dave and I am a boostaholic.......

Guest bastaad525

Heh... sounds like the story of my life with my car since the turbo swap. If a part could go bad, if it could be installed wrong, if SOMETHING could go wrong... it did. Good to hear you got it running though :) I'm guessing from the mention of MAF that you're running a 300zx ecu? I envy you :)

Afshin- I am using the 300ZX harness and ECU. I mounted the ECU on the driver side kick panel. This resulted in a huge excess length of wire, so I trimmed each wire to fit the S30 engine bay, and spliced in new connectors. I also deleted uneccessary wires from the 300ZX harness. I am using the factory 300ZX relays, and a Maxi-fuse block to supply power.

Update: Took it for another test drive. Having problems with boost control, and I suspect it's a leak. When I hit 6 psi, it suddenly drops into a vacuum. So, it boosts, it just doesn't hold boost. Hopefully it will be a simple fix. Also, I can't tell if my Bosch BOV is working. I used the same BOV on my Saab 9000, and it made a nice smooth woosh sound. On my 240ZT, it makes more of a fluttering sound when I let off the throttle.

If the car goes from 6 psi boost to vacuum it sounds more like the wastegate actuator is getting stuck open. If a hose is leaking, you usually lose some of the boost, so you don't built max boost, but it does not go to vacuum. Also if you have a large leak after the compressor causing pressure drop, you should notice black smoke from the car running really rich during boost (because the air is metered and then leaking out, but the ecu does not know that since it's metered before the compressor, and hence give too much fuel). So check the wastgate system.

Keep us posted