HybridZ

T56 question

GetInTheZ

What models came with the T56 I know a good junkyard around here that i can prolly get one from I just wanted to know what car to look for so i dont have to go searching aroung for a couple of hours Im hopefully gonna start my V8 z31 conversion soon. I want to get the engine out so i can test fit for Mounts. for those that did the swap already some pics of the mounts would be nice

Thanks

You'll need a special flywheel to adapt the newer style clutch setup or you will need to purchase a custom bellhousing to mate it to the old style block and use pretty much any standard clutch setup you want. Search the archives this has been covered in lots of detail.

My humble opinion is that the easier a tranny is to bolt in, the less desireable it is in a Z conversion. But, that all depends on how you will use the car.

The 'easiest' to bolt in and that has tons of clutch/bellhousing options are the old 4-speeds (Muncie, etc.). The later model T5s work fine and bolt in fairly easy, however, unless you find a world class (WC) T5, there are durability issues. Even the WC T5 isn't nearly as durable or able to handle as much torque as the T56. The T56 is the strongest junkyard option and has that nice 6th gear...

If money isn't the issue look at a Richmond 6-speed or the TKO trannies.

Guest RunninOnEmpty

Sounds like you really need to get the JTR book. It covers various tranny and bellhousing options, has illustrative fotos, and suggests that you have the engine/tranny combo ready before removing the Datsun's old engine.

John :2thumbs: