HybridZ

Crash Protection on the GTO replica

TomoHawk

I was just wondering if there's enough froom to put some kind of bumpers infer the GTO front or rear clips? Or even put some removeable nerf bars or something on there while you drive around?

?The purpose would be to give some kind pf protection to the body, so you don't have a $20,000 repair bill necause some idiot tapped the back or the front. :twisted:

If you get damage, I assume it's easier to cut off the body part, grind off what's left and glue on a new part? YOu just can't pull it out like a steel fender.

thx

Or even put some removeable nerf bars or something on there while you drive around?

It may be just my opnion but if you are concerned about that you shouldnt drive it around. Simply build it to show it...no fun. I doubt any type of protection would really help even in the smallest of bumps. It may even make it worse. Plus you would have to drill thru your bonnet to install any type of bar, and man it would kill the looks!!!

I wouldn't even bother with the build if I weren't going to drive it. Everything I have is functional. Besides, I already have a static 250 GTO- on the shelf.

With the sorry state of the U.S. legal system, I would probably bet that if you were in any kind of collision, there would be problems for you if you didn't have any bumpers.

There are already some holes in the front; two for air to the brakes and two for the driving lights. Those could probably be used for some brackets. there are three holes to the radiator, but I think I would rather not use those.

the idea I had was to hide bumper BEHIND the face. You still get damage, but maybe that way it's only to the bodywork and doesn't go to the chassis.

What's the technical term for "bumpers"? I forget.

The small jack points/bumpers that are used on the Cobra kits might work. You can buy them crome plated and could be presumed to be bumpers. Anouther would be short vertical pieces of 3/4" pipe that the ends are welded shut and welded to a plate on the side. These were popular on sports cars back in the 60s.