HybridZ

Turbo swap progress part III: break-in

Sean73

My Z31 ECCS-powered 240ZT is running great now. At the wastegate setting of 6 psi, the power is phenomenal. Since I'm using flattops, acceleration is good, even off boost.

Here is my dilemma- I have about 50 miles on the new engine now. I was planning on driving the car to MSA (about 500 miles from Tucson to OC). Can I effectively break-in the motor on the freeway, so long as I vary RPM and load?

In other news, I spent a couple of days chasing a ghost in the ECCS that was causing some rough acceleration. Turned out to be the CHTS. I find out now that I was using an 83 CHTS, which is different from the 84 CHTS. It runs good with the CHTS unplugged, but I am going to try and install the 84 CHTS and see what happens.

My boost problem was indeed the wastegate actuator. Some compressed air quickly revealed a faulty "rebuilt" actuator on my T3/T4 turbo. Lesson- test your wastegate before it's installed!

See you at MSA

Sean

73 240Z, L28ET, 8.8:1 flattops, T3/T04E, NPR IC, Z31 ECCS, Bosch bypass valve, custom intake, custom DP and 3" exhaust, 3.7 R200, Griffen Rad.

This has always tended to be a contentious topic, but if your clearances are correct, there is no need for break in period (except for cam break in..keeping rpms hich to feed it with fresh oil). Just drive it and have fun!

Tim