HybridZ

intake moification, plz help

240ZinTN

I am in the process of steam linning my '83 turbo manifold for a 240ZT. I have ground off several bolt mounts and need to know what else can go. The two tagged "do hickies" in the picture need to go but I would like to know if that would ruin the intake. I believe they are part the emmissions exhaust recirculation. I would appreciate any advice from those of you who have done this before.

normal_DSCF0160.JPG

I am pretty sure you can remove both of those, I am waiting on my spare to arive to do the same thing, if you do a search on intakes there are pic's of cleaned manifold that do not have those, also, you plan on plugging the egr right ?

Yes. I am planning on blocking off the EGR. I still have some more grinding to do before fabricating a plate to cover it. I am debating on just filling in the smaller holes with fiberglass or trying to weld the aluminum. A friend of mind has the equipment and we will need to practice aluminum welds for a while before doing the intake.

I have a bud that has a tig and is experienced with aluminum, I plan to chop that little wing off mine and have him weld the hole shut, I wonder what a small welding shop would charge you ? you don't want to have a bud try to weld it only to have it leak later

• 5 months later...

Here is my japanese 280zx NA manifold smoothed out. It didn't come with EGR, or a idle control built onto the manifold. It does have a cold start injector though. There were little screw holes left after smoothing it out, I just filled them with JB weld, would have been nice to have them welded so that I could have the manifold powder coated.

abovedriver.jpg

Here´s a link to my intake:

http://speedfreak.nu/modules.php?set_albumName=albuo82&id=aau&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I cut the plenum in half and smothened it out both on the outside and the inside, ported the runners, and when welding it all together, widened it half an inch + welding a plate for my 63mm BMW throttle body.

Works fine for me!

The little hat shaped item with the green tag is the AIC which is used to create a higher idle when you run the air conditioning. The part with the pink tag is an AAC (auxillary air control) valve that gets controlled by the VCM (vacuum control modulator) which allows for a high idle during cold startup. Niether of these are neccessary if you're not using AC or dont mind sitting in the car while it warms up for 5 minutes. If you're plating off the EGR, you can eliminate the VCM as well. You can also plug the POV (pop off valve) directly to the right of the AAC with a 1" pipe plug, just make sure you have a good boost gauge and know when to get your foot out of it. My major problem :) Good luck.

Hey Drax, or anyone else - have you tried that Alumiweld to fill in the indents after wacking off all the unnecessary mounts on an intake? I'm just about done shaving my '75 intake and i would like to fill these in just to make it look a little cleaner. I was going to try and mig with aluminum spool, just not sure how the cast intake would like it. Thanks and sorry, dont mean to hijack.

Guest MaXbOOst

heres what i did to mine :

9ee9fba3.jpg

d123e6d8.jpg

im getting plates made by a machine shop to cover my EGR and stock bov.

shaving the intake took me about 3-4 hours, and i painted it with chrome paint. :D i would shave the insides out too if i were you !