HybridZ

Rant.... primered cars rule!!! Paint SUCKS!!!!

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

That roller job looks very nice....

But I think I will end up going with wet/dry sandable paint or primer... I haven't really ever painted... well really much of anything before. I bet if I went at it with a roller you'd see all kinds of lines and patches. I just dont think I could pull that off.....

I have to laugh, I'm sorry. But, if your talking a truly custom paint job your looking in the neighborhood of $6,500 or better. And that's no joke! RacerX can back me up on that one. Every paint job has its place. Money usually dictates what you wind up with. Auto paint shops like Earl's sometimes depending on the painter, can shoot a decent coat. However, 90+% of the work is in body prep. Once the car has been roughed out, then primed/blocked out a minimum of 3 times by hand, and you have that gloss smooth finish; that is when you begin to consider putting on the base, top and finally coats of finsih. When you begin looking at paint colors that have a material cost of $1000.00 per gallon, then you might want to stop and think how you are going to use the car. Is it a daily driver? In which case forget the pristine perfect non chipped version, cause it will be less than a week before it is christened. And then you have the idiots who don't care about damaging your property, or intentionally keying it because they are gealous that you have and they don't. Everything comes into play. So, inless you are planning on keeping it covered all the time, or going out on a date and spending more time getting up and going to check on the condition of your car, than paying attention to your date, then you just might be a....canidate for primer. Tim240Z just went through the ringer, and managed to keep his sanity. But, I am sure he had his moments. That is the nature of the beast. Dan Juday also knows and has paid his dues in blood, swet and tears. Street driving holds many pit falls. Unfortunately, daily usage is one of them. So, take heart in what you have. Primer is not a bad thing if it is a catalized 2 part. It will hold up to a good beating. Give you the adhesion you need, relatively easy to keep clean and maintain. Why do you think so many of the early "Hot Rodders" used mat finish black primer? Good luck with your project.

ATB, VAN

P.S. Denny411: FYI - Can't shoot "Imron" in California anymore! Damn AQMD!

Guest bastaad525

all the more reason why I ONLY wanted an earl scheibb paint job... I dont think I'll EVER have a car with nice paint on it. I even joked about how, when I finally do put together a shelby AC cobra kit car, that I was even going to leave IT in primer!!!

I guess the stress for me doesn't come from the value... it's just the first time I had a car with new paint, and the first time I had a Z that didn't look like a beater.

My paint job cost $2,500. That included cutting out and replacing some sheet metal around the gas filler that had rusted through, replacing the windshield and hatch window seals, and installing and painting the MSA Aero II ground effects kit. They stripped the car down - took off doors, hood, hatch, glass, and painted the inside of everything except the engine bay ( had that done later for another $500). Painted the entire car a pearl red and then painted the white stripe up the middle with a 1/4" pinstripe on each side of it. The car has been a daily driver ever since then and over 6 years later I'm still being asked who painted the car. It now has many minor scratches and rock chips but that is the price I pay to "enjoy the ride" every day.