HybridZ

Air-Conditioning for a Z-V8?

:cool:

I notice a lot of you HybridZ guys live in the southwest and other hot climate areas. Does anyone have air-conditioning for summer cruising? If so what kind of unit did you use. Do you have a bypass belt for racing?

I live in Tulsa where we have about 2-3 months of high 90's and 100+ degree days, so if I want to enjoy cruising I would think that air conditioning would be desirable.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Dan H

Guest jwelch

Hi Dan,

I'm using the MSA Part# 16-7567 ($780 + shipping). I noticed MSA now has a kit that is cheaper but only fits stock A/Cs from 70-73. I've had to do some fabricating for the bracket to bolt to the engine. Mine is actually still in process. Lone has done the conversion and has information on his website. For the money I paid and some aggravation I would look for a cheaper route. Putting the unit in the dash was the most difficult part for me. Maybe Lone will chime in here. Good Luck cheers.gif

Regards,

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I think mine delivered was like 815.00 or something like that, but it was the R134a refrig model and I just moded the bracket. Before I did it, I'd price vintage air, if I had the dash all the way out and was doing a total all out job of it. I would have paid a G if it was all one unit, heat and air and I had, had the time to do it. The one I have now is ok, but it ain't begun to get hot here yet really, and until I get the fan motor situation fixed (the Ford one didn't work, to big and it'd be a kludge, I'm going to get a CRX one) its not working. It puts out really cold air, but the stock fan doesn't blow real hard, so anyone contemplating doing this way would be advised to upgrade your blower to get the full effect of it. I hope its enough, it "only" got to near 90 today (probably 75 by 7 in the morning...) Overall Tempe is like San Diego with a Serious summer and a bit farther drive to the beach. :D

Regards,

Lone

Are there any chevy air-conditioning units that match up to the 350 sbc and can be fabricated into the ZX?

I know this has to be an issue with a lot of Z summer cruisers, especially you guys that have the chick-magnet Z's. I don't think chicks like cars that are 120 deg inside. It makes their hair fall.

More input?

Dan H

Guest Anonymous

If it had original air conditioning, no strain, buy a Sanden A.C. compressor and a chevy bracket for a sanden, and hook the compressor up to the original air. (or build a bracket and use the datsun A.C. although the sanden small type compressor takes less HP to run) The Datsun A/C should then not even notice its got a American heart. :D

If it didn't have air, well grab a inside HVAC unit for a A/C ZX and swap that in, shake, stir and enjoy cool and refreshing... bonk.gif

Regards,

Lone

I have a Vintage Air system, the universal Space Saver model. It was easy to install, and fits with room to spare in a 240Z. In fact I just charged up the system on Monday, and man does it run cold!! It was showing 30 degrees out the vent at idle on high cool, this cooled down my black car in the sun very quickly! in fact I had to move the lever closer to the middle because it was getting to cold! Get one they are great! 2thumbs.gif

I used their universal "Space Saver" model #02300-VUZ-A w/o vents heat/cool w/def.I got the one without vents so I could use the stock vents in my '72 240Z. I had to modify the cowl area a bit to fit the fan motor part of the Space Saver. The unit is one piece,fan motor,evaporator. The dimentions are 24"L X 7"D X 8.5"H. Call 1-800-to-cool-u for a catalog, I'm sure they have more choises now then when I bought this system.Ask for a complete kit, and it will come with the necessary hose kit, compressor, etc.. :D

The system is not cheap, I bought mine in '98 and it cost around $900. But I got some extra things that were more expensive. I bought the Super Flow Condenser, wich is their top of the line, I also bought the Aluminum Proline Control which was extra. i don't know what the CFM is, but i do know that it cools great!! I have pics, but I haven't connected my scanner yet to scan them. If I have time I'll do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pix, I can't find your part number on their site, maybe it's not made anymore? I wanted to know the dimensions because it looks pretty long. Is there room for a radio? Looks like you lose use of the glove box as well.

I did find one place on the net that has it.

http://www.sachserodshop.com/catalog/page29.htm

But it's just seems too big, the Short Pack unit I linked above is only 16" long and I could probably shove it back against the firewall.

Owen

Guest BillV

Does anyone know if a stock compressor out of a 89 Camaro will adapt to the stock ZX system? It would sure save a lot of trouble.

I have a 74.5 260Z with a sbc. The original air had been removed. I went to the scrap heap and got all of the air components for under $100. Then I went to my local air shop and said, "make it work". The magic words. For $500 they found a used chevy compressor, put my air in, and made it work. I now have cold A/C for under $600. It would have been a couple hundred cheaper if the original air components were still in my car.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by BillV:

Does anyone know if a stock compressor out of a 89 Camaro will adapt to the stock ZX system? It would sure save a lot of trouble.

Sure thing, most AC systems are pretty much the same, hook the chevy compressor to the stock system and your in business. You may want to have it all changed over to R134a refrig. as freon is more expensive than you can believe. (how much, well lets just say to convert it over runs about the same as charging it with freon :eek: ). ;)

Regards,

Lone

Ps: If possible use a later chevy compressor to get the Sanden type small compressor and not the old Frigidare ones that were enormous and used alot of HP.

• 4 months later...

I was wondering if any of you guys that have used this vintage air setup have been able to use the factory cable style selectors in the dash heater control panel? I am also wondering what you guys did to plumb these setups into the stock vent housings? Please comment and share the "trial and error" knowledge if you've done this conversion, or any other conversion to the 240Z air/heat systems! Any and all info would be greatly appreciated! rockon.gif

No, you can't use the stock cable selectors, my system uses vacuum servoes, but they now have electric servoes.

To plumb to the stock outer vent housings, I used the stock hoses, they fit like they were made for it. I custom made my center section, and added 2 vents. I used the hose supplied with the unit and a "Y" section to hook it to the center spot on the unit( it only has 3 outlets for AC).

Like I said it works great!!! When I drove down to Montgomery for the HybridZ shootout, it rained most of the way there, I had no problems with fogging, where others were complaining of fogging up windows.