HybridZ

Many Problems!! HELP!!!

Well, I am pretty close to running, but I'm having many problems. First of all, I'm getting no oil up into the valve area when cranking. Secondly, I have no spark. I have the Black with white shielded wire plugged directly into the Batt. side of the hei distributor. Everything is brand new. I'm also not getting any compression reading in the two cylinders I've checked. However, when I turn the motor by hand, the air blows my finger off the spark plug hole. I removed the valve covers and the valves are moving. The rotor is turning under the distributor. Could I have the wrong head gasket?

327 SBC, PRO Aluminum Heads, HEI, Magnum Roller Rockers

I assume this is your first engine build?

First and foremost you need to find out why there is no oil getting up to the rockers. Did you check the distance of the oil pump pickup to the bottom of the oil pan? this is important. too much you could suck in air, not enough and it might have problems picking up the oil. Did you prime the engine before trying to start it. Its a good idea and worth the extra effort. as for the compression issue and the no spark, it sounds like your cam may not be installed exactly right. double check by bringing the #1 cylinder up on top dead center, as the piston is coming up the intake valve should be closing and the exhaust valve should already be closed. if this is not happening you will have to re time the cam to the crank. let me know what you find..also what book did you use to do your assy. if any :twisted::roll:

Sounds like you have several issues which might be caused by just a few problems.

First off, I agree with Tomahawk, it sounds like your cam timing is way off. If the valves were open when the piston came up (hopefully only partially open, otherwise you'd possibly crunch them) you wouldn't get a good compression reading. I'd suggest taking the front cover off and re-timing the cam. Remember that TDC occurs TWICE, once on the intake stroke, and again on the exhaust stroke. It's easy to put your cam in 180 degrees off if you're not careful.

Second, your oil pressure problem might be caused by anything from plugged galleys (not likely on both heads, I think) to a bad oil pump or the wrong head gasket. Are you sure the gear to the oil pump is engaging with the camshaft gear? Look to http://www.melling.com/support/bulletins/view.asp?id=10 for advice on this.

I'm not a mechanic, and I'm learning as I go, same as you. Good luck, and let us know what the problems turned out to be!