HybridZ

Figuring this out. R230 Axle swap

rytherwr

I should have read these posts before, I guess. Just got my Moser axles in as part of the R230 kit I bought from you. Great pieces! However, imagine my dismay when I tried to fit them to my FIVE BOLT ends and they didn't fit....the axles were too large. I was thinking Moser made a mistake until I came back to hybridz and your site and found out that I should be using 6-bolt ends. My 5-bolts have 27 splines and the Moser axle has 28 splines as well as being too large in diameter. I bought the half-shafts as R230's and the ends match the rear end I bought that was also advertised as an R230 out of a 93 300ZXT. The output flanges on the "R230" are 5 bolt. Configuration is the same as R230 pictures I have seen, so I'm not sure what I have. I DO know that it is a 4:08 geared VLSD. Anyway, I'm back to the drawing board and also hope that 6-bolt output shafts have the right spine to go in the rear-end I have. Will let all know how that turns out. Anybody who can decipher this is welcome. The R200v seems to be plausible, but I don't know much about these rear-ends. Well...I'm off to tilt the windmills...wish me luck.

I'm in about the same boat you are. My Infiniti rear end has the 5 bolt outdrives. As far as I know, all the Z-32's had the R-200 rear end. I'd go with an R-230 if I could aquire one, but they seem to be kinda scarce in the junkyards out here.

I'm in about the same boat you are. My Infiniti rear end has the 5 bolt outdrives. As far as I know, all the Z-32's had the R-200 rear end. I'd go with an R-230 if I could aquire one, but they seem to be kinda scarce in the junkyards out here.

Let me know if you want one. I have a great source for them....it'll mean a trip up to LA though!!

I hate to say it guys, but I'm pretty sure you both have R200 VLSD. Every R230 I have seen has the 6 bolt configuration, and no, 6 bolt style ends will not slide into your diff. You could have someone machine an adapter, or look elsewhere for the diff. The infiniti diffs in J30's were VLSD but of the R200 variety which looks the same as the R230 except that the 230 has 6 bolt shafts. They do not swap. Q45 3.55 and 300ZXtt 3.7 are the same spline and the largest, then the 300ZXna 4.08 I think? and J30, and the smallest is the R200 from the 240SX's which I believe is also 4.08. The problem is, all of these diffs will have the orange Viscous Limiteds Slip sticker, and most have the same rear cover except newer R200's and they cases look identical. Sorry :(

The Infinity guys are running into the same problems trying to swap diffs around to get different ratios.

All Q45s use 6 bolt axles but according to the FSM the 3.538 ratio in 90-96 is in fact R200v and the internal side gears are splined to take the 6 bolt stubs. As the Infinity guys trying to use Z32NA 4.083 R200V have found when they tried to use their existing axle stubs.

Only the 3.692 97-01 Q45 appears to be R230V, 02 Q45 onwards uses a 3.133 R230 open (non LS).

The 3.538 ratio has continued in Z33. Neil

Edit Z33 uses 5 bolt axles.

WOW! Looks like I opened a can of worms on this one! To all....many thanks for the knowledge, I think I understand. Would love to take Tim240Z up on the offer but I live in GA and not sure it is worth the freight yet. If I can't find anything closer, may have to re-visit. Brings up another question: I haven't seen Ross C's complete system assembled and am wondering if I would have room for a 3/8ths adapter plate between the 5 bolt output flange and the 6 bolt CV end? Anybody know? Sure do appreciate.

FYI, I have a '78 280Z, 383 chevy(10:1 cr, al 195cc heads, 1 3/4 block huggers, etc), after market FI system, 700r4, full cage, fiberglass front end with cowl-induction hood, fiberglass rear quarters to cover the 10.5 inch Mickey Thompson's, 16 Gal fuel cell, '65 Vette under-car 2.5" chambered exhaust (sounds BAD), '82 vette rear facia/bumper, Denny's aluminum driveshaft w/1310 joints and I THOUGHT an R-230 adapted to the 280Z companion flanges until you guys set me straight. Oh well, there's always a way. Again, many thanks.

Ok! I'm getting on this train a little late and I'm a little slow and I don't take hints well (male dysfunctions I'm told) but, a 240sx, with 4.08 gears VLSD would have an R200v. R200Vs are not acceptable and/or R200Vs do not swap well?!?! R230Vs come from Q45s and certain 300zx and are distinguished by having 6 bolts instead of 5...maybe?!?!?!

I have a 77 280Z with an R180 that will not last long once it hits the streets. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before the inevidable happens. A single spinning 3.54 gear is not real apealing either.

Pretty sure that the 300zx's never had the R-230V. The R-200V is found in a bunch of Nissan products: 300zx(Z32), 240sx, Infiniti J-30, M-30 (I think). The VLSD version from the J-30 is a 3.90 ratio, not sure about the others. Outdrives on the Z32, J-30, and M-30 should all be the five bolt flange, vice the 6 bolt for the R-230V, although apparently 5 bolt versions of the R230 do exist :? I think the R-200V is as good a cantidate for swapping into a Z as any other rear end, perhaps even more than the R-230 because it is more available. The only problem is than nobody has paved the way for this conversion, as Tim has done with the R-230. The process should be identical to the R-230 swap, with the exception of having smaller diameter, 27 spline shafts made instead of the 28 spline R-230 shafts, and using a 5 blot adapter for the 280Z companion flange instead of the 6 bolt adapter for the R230 shafts. At this point I'm also considering a bastardized, total redesign for the rear suspension that would allow the use of stock length 200V shafts by placing the hub carriers further outboard (longer A arms) and using a modified version of the 300ZX (Z32) rear hub carrier (integral parking break :D ) Lots of options available, but as a welder I have a hard time sending out work for someone else to do, and the thought of using custom made shafts is kind of a turnoff as well. Granted, the R-230 shafts by moser would no doubt survive WWIII, but I still dont like the idea of ever having to replace one, plus I like building everything myself. Stuborn, proud, mildly retarded, etc. I'm gonna stop typing now and go find a hard object to beat my head against for a while......

Mike

Mike,

Speedway is more local and the shafts are not that expensive, but as you say, they will NEVER need to be replaced....it's the same material and craftsmanship as the NASCAR boys are using...and how often do they break axles....NEVER!!!

Tim

Many thanks for the input, folks. Surprising I haven't seen this before. Probably not looking in the right place. Good to have it out in the open. I agree with Z-Tard....can make this work as well as anything else us zingy folks like to try and the R200V is certainly more plentiful, at least in the Southeast. I believe I will take Tim's advice and try an adaptor between the R200V 5 bolt output flanges and the inner R230 6 bolt outer housing flanges. I have a couple of ideas, some ducats and a good machinist who is a masochist. Any ideas or if you have done this before, please post. When I get to an end-state, I will post the results so it may help another poor soul keep their sanity.

Regards,

Wayne

Ztard

The parts info for Z32DETT does not support the argument that there is any other ratio than 3.692 in the R230V.

There is only one part No per side listed for the slide in flanges (stubs) therefore there are only 6 bolt Flanges and no 5 bolt flanges.

R200-R230 designates the size of the ring gear and not the various housings designs that they are used in.

Maybe another form of identification can be the width across the flanges, on my 200SX S13 R200V with the 3x2 flanges and 5 bolt flanges is 315mm or 12.4in

Hopefully someone can chip in with the dimensions of R230V. Neil

Guest ZmeFly

Id like to know if anyone has tried this on a ZXT!

It seems like the ultimate swap, and I wonder how well it would fit or not with the ZXT

:idea: New idea: The 5 bolt R-200 shafts have enough material in the shaft to cut down to correct length and re-spline. Machining on hardened shafts will require low feed rates and lots of coolant, but can be done without too much difficulty. Now I just have to find an indexing head for my milling machine at work, and the correct cutter for cutting splines :twisted:

Mike

Mike

I'm doing the same with tripod shafts and you need to heat treat to soften the shaft area to be machined then do machining , respline and then re-flame harden. Which is why it is easier to let an axle company do it, that has the expertise. Neil

Tim is working on some R230 cv joints for me. Thanks to all the smart folks out there, I think I have come to the conclusion that I have an R200 VLSD that LOOKS like an R230 and MOUNTS like an R230. I like the idea of the 4:08's with a 700R4 so I am going to try an adaptor between the 5-bolt R200 output flanges and the 6-bolt R230 CV ends before I actually give up and getting an actual R230. The reason I am kinda stuck is because I already have the Moser axles that will fit the 6-bolt cv ends. Already have a mock-up of the adaptor. Does anyone know if the bolt circles on the 5-bolt and 6-bolt pattern are the same diameter? If they are, then there will be one common hole that a bolt will go all the way through. The adaptor will be 1/2" thick and I will thread bolt holes for the non-common holes. 5-bolt will go in from one side and the 6-bolt will go in from the other side. If the bolt patterns are not the same diameter, then back to the drawing board. What fun we have, eh? Wayne