HybridZ

Rear ride height problem after installing coilovers help!!

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

Lemme just say what I've been able to glean so far, and say that I have no firsthand experience, because I've always dealt with the 240 suspension. The 280 sat higher than the 240 stock, but I couldn't say how much. The 240 rear struts that you get from Tokico are the same as the 240 front struts with a 2" spacer on them. So if Juan had the rears with a 3" spacer, then the difference in the tube is 1". If you take a regular 240 and drop it more than 2" then common practice is to section the strut tube. Likewise if you were to put that same tube in a 240 with a 240 hat (also shorter) then you'd be equally well off sectioning the strut if you went lower than 1" below stock 240 height. So IF the 240 hat is an inch shorter, and the tube is an inch shorter, you could drop the rear 2" by swapping in 240 stuff. But then you'd lose your stronger stub axles, and if you're going to section them, the process is the same so you'd be better off sectioning the 280 stuff and not having to swap stubs.

Take that FWIW,

Jon

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

I just want to say this quickly as I'm on my way to work,,, I think the whole point if different struts is the larger amount of torque that the 280z produces in the rear? I don't feel that the z is sooooo much heavier but the torque factor so it doesn't squat when romping on it.

the 280z struts are much different as they have a larger diameter around than the 240z and the rear is taller. the rear does have a very large spacer ..

I just feel that my setup is pointless right now without sectioning. I should be able to drop it and take advantage of square thread sleeve and collar but just isn't going to happen. I basically have a stock ride height coil over setup. I have to yet drive it and see how it handles. I only did mild driving to relocated it to this garage.

well I think this pretty much covers it. thanks again Juan

Guest JAMIE T

I'm still trying to figure out what datsun did to compensate for the increased overall strut height. Are the upper strut mounting points located higher in the chassis on the 280's? Or, do they have that much less suspension travel from the factory?