HybridZ

Z is off to the shop (kinda long)

Guest Z-rific

Guest Z-rific

I have a 78 280 that's been sitting in the garage, not running, for over 2 years now. I bought the car as a project and funs and time got low, so it sat.

Over the months, i've changed my mind a million times s to what I should do with it. Build up the L28, stroke it, drop a ZXT engine, drop a built Buick NA V6 (still really like this one), and drop a V8.

Well it came time for me to get it running QUICK. So after weighing all the options, I decided for ease and monetary reasons to do a Scarab V8 conversion. I know V8's pretty good.

I found a few strong, running V8's at a nearby salvage yard. I got a 350 with all the trimmings and a TH350 for $450. While I was at the salvage shop, the guys showed me a Jeep, Mustang and TR6 they were building for customers. Then they made me this offer:

For $800, they would do this work and include these parts...

Pull the L6, strip the engine compartment, paint and clear coat it to my desired color.

Then, they would drop a Torker or Performer manifold (my choice) on the engine along with a Holley 650 or 750 (my choice). Totally degrease engine and tranny and paint the ngine the color of my choice. They will clean out the tranny and change some springs to make it shift harder. And find me a shifter.

Then, they will cut and refit the driveshaft in place (driveshafts are this guy's specialty). Then hook up all fuel lines, linkages, hoses, wires etc. They will get the car to a friends shop who will take my 2 turbo mufflers (from Summit for 16$ a piece) and run exhaust to my preference (add $75 for this).

They will tune it and I can pick it up in about 2 weeks total time.

They are coming to get it today or tomorrow.

Now, folks, I was wanting to do a lot of this myself, but for that kind of cash, I'll be happy to let them do it. They are very experienced and guarantee everything but the Holley.

When it comes back, I still need to finish my flares/body panel project (only drivers side finished) and finish installing the new carpet (1/2 done as well). I am hunting down wheels/tires and spacers right now.

Then the suspension mods start. But at least it'll be on the road, rumbling around the neighborhood. I can't wait!

You might want to bargain with them and see if they will put a 700R4 in place of the TH350 for a few more dollars. If they work at a salvage yard they should have a supply of several different transmissions. I think you would appreciate the overdrive.

Just a thought.

Danny

Guest Z-rific

Actaully, I'll one day convert to a 5 speed, and I won't be putting any highway miles on the car, so I am okay with the 350.

I know the 5 speed will probably require JTR setup, but that's a long ways off. That will come after the bodywork, finishing the interior, suspension mods and a quality paint job.

For highway trips, I'll be in my 95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD.

Sounds like a GREAT deal! 2thumbs.gif I recommend going with the JTR swap over the scarab setup, unless you don't mind poor handling. If handling isn't an issue, go for it. If it is, use the search and you will find more info on what you'll have if you go scarab.

Heavy Z

Guest Z-rific

I have the JTR manual and I have read every JTR vs. Scarab post. For ease of installation and cost, I'm going Scarab right now. If I find the handling to be "poor" I can switch later.

I understand the advantages of JTR, but every case is different. What suspension mods, what kind of weight reduction, what wheels/tires are used all affect handling.

If you want to consider the advantages of an engine being 3" back and 2" down, then you have to start looking at other modifications, such as the removal of my front bumper/bumper shocks/brackets. That's a solid 50lbs taken off the very front of the car. Factor in battery relocation, the addition of an extra muffler and pipes to the rear, heavier tires in rear than front, and the whole weight balance equation gets impossible to figure.

Besides, I wont autoX or road race the car until all suspension/brake mods are done and that will be a while. Then I'll consider JTR and a 5 speed.

Man, that's almost TOO cheap! Figure $120 for the manifold, $150 for a used Holley and $100 to get the driveshaft shortened, and after all the labor to clean things up and bolt stuff together, they're not making much money on this deal. If you're happy with the caliber of work they're doing on other people's cars, then go for it. Tough to imagine that you could possibly lose on this deal.

Guest Z-rific

I know!

Don't forget the mod to the tranny and the shifter! And transporting the car around (it's not running). And everything is guaranteed but the Holley. So if the motor starts blowing white smoke in a few months, I can take it back and they will pull it, bolt everything to a different 350 and go from there. Of course I'm planning a rebuild in the future anyway.

They just seem to be real nice guys looking to help a car enthusiast.

Oh, he said it would be between $700 and $800, so I'm just planning on the 8. I can't wait to see that shiny engine compartment. I'm thinking maybe black or medium grey. Then maybe a Chevy red for the engine. Although I saw a grey engine the other day that looked sharp.

Originally posted by Darthmentos:

Would they do that with a z31? We're in birmingham and that's dirt cheap!

No kiddin, hook me up!

I'd rather do it myself, but for that price... rockon.gif

Sounds like a hell of a good price!

I agree on the Scarab vs. JTR argument you gave too. There's alot of weight to consider other than engine weight and placement. Moving the battery to the back probably has the same effect as the engine location change.

Guest Z-rific

When it's finished, I'll post some pics for you guys. From the work on a few other cars in their shop, I'm expecting good results.

Maybe I'll even driver her down th B-ham one of these days.