HybridZ

HAS ANYONE USED/BEEN FAMILIAR W. THIS L.S.D PRODUCT?

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Is anyone versed enough to explain whether this product is a "good thing", as compared to buying a whole new diff with the LSD built in? A lot of times, I've seen chat on this site about the misleading "plug and play" e bay sellers of Z diffs, where someone's known too little too late about other mods/pieces needed to make diffs fit...e.g., using a 300ZX diff with a Chevy Tremec engine in a 280Z, etc. My car's a 280ZX Turbo, and I'm not even sure if this particular diff system would work with my car...what's an R200?

Thanks

John

work with my car...what's an R200?

That is the model/size of the differential in your 280ZX Turbo, The R-180 was used in 240Zs and later automatic trans-equipped cars.

R-160, R-180, R-200 the # refers to the ring gear diameter (mm).

That is like no diff unit I've ever seen. Not that I'm an expert on the subject, but if you look at several different styles and makes, they don't look all that incredibly different. :?:

My best guess is it is a spool, where you tie both axles together, but I've never seen one open up like a clam shell. Spools are not a street set up. You'll only see them on dirt track cars and drag race cars. On the street, you need some slip between the two tires while taking turns or the axle binds up. :idea:

It is NOT a spool. It works much like a Lock-Right or EZ Locker for a 4x4, only instead of having two big gears to lock together it has two plates with a friction surface on the insides.

Do a search on phantom grip and you'll learn more about it, if you care after hearing the above explanation. It's a cheap and less than ideal LSD.

Jon

Yes, it is definitely cheaper than any other lsd I've seen. Yea, I didn't really read into their website until after I responded. It looks promising if it works as good as they say it does. You do have to admit it looks nothing like a lockrite, eaton, quaiffe, detroit locker, arb locker or nismo lsd.

Do you anybody who has used this thing first hand for drag racing or autocross? Does it last? I'm not knocking it, but I am a bit of a skeptic when I've never seen anything like it, even more so when it's not right in front of me to look and figure out how it works. I'm all for cheaper if it is a good product. I hate to find out that "you get what you paid for" the hard way.

Click below. Type in phantom grip, search in the drivetrain forum. LOTS of info if you look for it.

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=search

It LOOKS like a mini spool. It WORKS like a Lock Right. It ACTS like a LSD. The reason it doesn't look like a lock right in the pictures is because they don't show the side gears with it. I guess because they don't sell you side gears like an EZ locker would come with.

Jon