HybridZ

Compatible fuel pump

z-REX

hey guys... i did some searching but didn't come up with alot... maybe it's the frustration talking. my newly-acquired 240z turbo chucked it's fuel pump today :cuss: and, well, i need something to make it run again. it's mostly stock, so nothing outrageous required, but after looking at the prices for stock replacements :shock: , i figured i'd ask the geniuses of hybridz... does anybody know of a good pump to run this car that won't make me cry when i pay for it?....bob

Guest bastaad525

A few of us have installed the MSD fuel pump, part #2225. It runs a little over $100 or right around there... maybe a bit less than $100 if you shop around. It's a bit smaller than stock, but it comes with it's own brackets... Tim240z installed mine for me and made it look like a piece of cake. Keep in mind you wont be able to run the stock return line anymore if you still are... it will runn way too high pressure at the injectors. I'm using the stock feed line, and ran my return line thru the metal line on the driver side of the engine bay, the one that used to transmit the fumes from the vapor canister to the intake, and switched the small stock return line to run to the vapor canister. Has worked fine so far, fuel pressure showing pretty much normal.

A lot of turbo guys also run the Walbro pump... I dont know the part #, it's a bit more expensive than the MSD, but ultimately more capable.

There are also a number of junkyard pumps that will do the trick.

Personally, if it were me, at the power level I"m at now, I'd just look into buying another ZXT pump used. I think I've seen them go for less than $50. I did a before-and-after dyno, and found that the high performance MSD pump made absolutely NO difference in power or air/fuel ratio over the stock pump... proving once and for all that the stock pump can handle some power increase, at least up to 200hp in my case.

But if used is not your bag then go with the MSD... cheap, easy to deal with... a bit on the noisy side but I like that at least I can hear if it stops working (so long as it doesn't cut out at WOT under boost... I wont hear it then... but I probably will hear my motor commiting suicide at that point!).