HybridZ

spoilers and exhaust fumes!!!! VERY INTERESTING.

Guest 400HP280z

Guest 400HP280z

OK well i pretty much finished my rearend. its very flat and smooth and looks alot like a newer corvette. the tail lights are even smoothed out. The more i looked at the car the more i thought maybe the whaletail should come off. the rear being as flat as it is may benifit from no spoiler.

with it off it looked good but sort of plain. maybe keep it, maybe go with something smaller??????

i drove it to work and back home twice today. HOLYSH!T. i live and work on an AF base. i drive about 2 miles each way and get to 25mph tops.

i have never really noticed exhaust fumes before in my Z but knew it was a common problem. I have to drive with my windows down because i live in hell, well tucson but close enough. anyway today it was HORRIBLE. in that short drive i was lightheaded and my eyes were on fire.

i got home and do a search on the great HYBRIDZ site and get a few maybe's and alot of guesses as to a solution. so i decide to put the whaletail back on because it never did it with it on.

i just drove it for about 15-20 mins just now and ITS FIXED..LIKE 95% BETTER. i still smell alittle exhaust but hey its a 30 year old motor with dual webers. its GOING to run rich.

SO TO SUM IT UP A WHALE TAIL DOES SOMETHING TO THE REAREND AIR FLOW ENOUGH TO KEEP THE FUMES OUT.

Which Whaletail are you running? Is it one of the universal types that bolt to the rear hatch or the old style that is molded to fit the Z?

Has anyone tried this or a similar experiment with the smaller 1 or 3 piece rear spoilers?

I'm debating about whether to use the smaller spoiler or leave the rear alone. My wife wants the car to be more of a sleeper but I've always liked the old style whaletail and the smaller spoilers.

Wheelman

Hmmmmm. Maybe all the air being forced upward as it passes over the spoiler is creating a low pressure area behind the car, drawing out the fumes from under the rear valence. We need to get like $50 from every Hybridz member so we can build a ghetto wind tunnel for some definitive testing on this. Who's in? :-D

Mike