HybridZ

Finally Ran the Z down the quarter...

Corzette

Ok I guess everyone knows that I stupidly took out my XR282HR cam and put in a XR270HR before I ran the car....ZFAN was right...ALWAYS run your car before doing anything drastic. Well the 270 cam with my setup puts out about 50 to 60 less HP and I ran the quarter in 12.4 at 110.86. 5 runs yielded all 12.4 to 5 range at the same speed. 7.99 in the 8th at 87MPH. I didnt get beat by anyone! I also beat two C5 corvettes and one with an L06 in it. Wonderful night at the track. I beat up a Mustang Cobra and New black TransAm. Everyone was tripping on my car and I think I made about 50 news friends. So with that said I am sure I should be in the elevens once I put my XR282 back in.....Damn thats gonna take about 5 hours. Im going again next Friday to test the bigger cam. This is fun stuff. By the way the GTech said I was running 13.4s so its a whole second off!!!! :shock: ZFAN what jets are you running in your carb and what carb? I started with 72/80 on a Holley 750DP and Proform main body....Im sure Ill need to jet it up for the bigger cam right??

Terry

Guest zfan

Terry,

Nice runs, very consistant to say the least. Wish I could say that. I am running the Holley 750 with proform main body and 74 front and 84 back jets.

I used this combo after talking to Proform and quick fuel technologies rep.

I am fighting vacuum issues so run a 4.5 power valve as vacuum at idle in gear is only 6 to 7 inches.

Are you running a dual plane intake? I went to a victor Jr. and dynoed the other day. I ran 360hp to the wheels and 340tq. The dyno I go to is known to be about 7 percent off from the three others me and my freinds used before so who knows! My air/ fuel was dead on though.

My car weighs 2800 lbs with me in it and leaving the line at idle has run 11.30 at 121 and 7.20 ant 97 mph. I am running the Comp cams extreme energy xr-288hr-10 cam. 236/242-520/540-110. I am running 1.60's on the intake side to raise lift to 553. I also retarded the cam 4 degrees because my DCR was so high. DCR is now at 8.23.

Mike

Guest zfan

Yeah, stock halfshafts :lol: That's why I leave at idle :( I am going to try and stall it up and see what happens friday...10's I hope with no breaky-breaky 8)

Mike

Damn Mike thats awesome. Hey get the CVs and forget about it. It was an easy swap. Well I got the engine torn down today and ready to put the 282 back in. I will post the new times on Saturday morning. Do you think I can hit high 11s with the cam change? Its only 4 tenths away from 11 now. Everyone was freakin on my car. I ordered some cutouts as well so I can run open exhaust to increase HP a bit. Well Mike Im following your trail. The next project is ordering the 383 stroker kit. I think I will keep my 282 because I dont want to change my springs on my heads. I was thinking I may be a little lean so I will try stepping up to 74/84 on the next runs after my initial with the 282. Also big question....are the dial a jets really worth the install? Has anyone dealt with these for performance? There is suppose to be a Viper coming to the track Friday so I hope I can line up with him. He is running 12.2s I hear. It should be a good race...wish me luck.....Still undefeated so far....i also run 1 gallon of Xylene to 9 gallons of 92 octane when I race.....seems to like it.

Terry

Keep in mind that a bigger cam isn't always best, Don Manzo ran an 11.1 with 'only' a 230/480 hydraulic cam in his 383 Z. If you are traction limited in your midrange then maybe a bigger cam will help you out. I remember a while back some hotrod mag ran the difference in 1/4 mile times between 4 or so cams from a 262 to a 282(or something like that) in the same car and it surprised me how close they all were in the 1/4 mi. Not trying to discourage you, but it may be splitting hairs. The 383 mod on the other hand you'll feel for sure, you could wait and do it all at once. good luck either way you go. :D