HybridZ

Exhaust cutout questions

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Okay just want to get some info one exactly what an exhaust cutout is and how it works. I'm running a really crappy exhaust on my turbo setup right now, and can't really afford to get a proper 3" mandrel exhaust installed any time soon (too much other stuff to fix on the car anyways). I was thinking of making a section of my exhaust removable but then I saw cutouts mentioned. This is just a kind of valve in the exhaust that you can open and close from the cabin right? If I were to put one right after the downpipe, would this net me the same kind of performance increase as running either just an open DP, or a good mandrel exhaust would?

How much do these things cost? And how to install them? I'm assuming any muffler place could put one in?

Guest bastaad525

ugh... that sux. Would REALLY like one I can open from the cabin at any time. Is there no one who carries/manufactures one like this that seals well?

By NOT sealing well, exactly what problem does that create? Stays too loud? or just letting fumes in the cabin (which is already a problem with the regular exhaust in my Z anyways)?

summitracing carries it for only $30... real cheap. don't buy the one with the pull cable in cabin, it dosen't seal good. get the 3 winged nut one you take off yourself. and run it after the DP.

What's the part number? I couldn't find anything on their website except the ones without a lever.

Owen

FORGET ALL THAT OTHER CRAP.....this is what you need!!!

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm

I have one and it works great just a push of the button and 3-4 seconds later it`s fully open. It`s custom made to your car so it takes about 2wks to get. But well worth it. I have the 3" one but they make them for other sizes as well....110.00 for one or 210.00 for two and it`s wired so that both open at the same time and speed.

Oh yeah It`s also quiet when shut..no leaking!!!!

Mark

Guest 73TPIZ

Guys,

you're making this too complicated. Get 1 or 2 import 4cyl throttle bodies. Mine are from integras, 2.5" ID. Gut and fill all the bypasses and vacuum connections. Make a 2 plates that they can bolt to, then weld the plates to the end of your pipes. Work the butterflies with a lawn mower throttle cable from in the cabin.

As far as sealing. Think about if, if not for an IAC motor and a idle adjust screw, those TB's would choke down the orig 4-cyl they were on. My exhaust is as quiet as a factory 4-cyl when closed and WIDE OPEN when open. Trips out the spectators at the strip. Sit in line quiet, around the water box quiet, scrub the tires quiet, prestage and rev quiet, green light then :twisted: . Come back around in line all quiet again. :wink:

My quiet sys taps in just above the left TB after the X-pipe and goes through a $30 muffler and through a cute little 2" chrome tip in the stock location. :wink::wink:

Heat's not affecting them at all. Ran a single for a year behind the axle and replaced that with twins at the rear of the trans 3 months ago and no problems yet.

I could post some pics if anyone gives a dodo.

take care.

PS: I had the TB's so this gig put me back a cool $5. But stock TB's from a JY or "my cousin's step-dad's uncle has a couple a Camrys in his back yard" source should be a dime-a-dozen.

Guest bastaad525
FORGET ALL THAT OTHER CRAP.....this is what you need!!!

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm

I have one and it works great just a push of the button and 3-4 seconds later it`s fully open. It`s custom made to your car so it takes about 2wks to get. But well worth it. I have the 3" one but they make them for other sizes as well....110.00 for one or 210.00 for two and it`s wired so that both open at the same time and speed.

Oh yeah It`s also quiet when shut..no leaking!!!!

Mark

Very cool... thanks for that link. I may have to do this one... I can get it and installed for way less than redoing my entire exhaust in 3" mandrel, I believe. So a turbo car would perform well with one of these when open right? I love the idea of the exhaust note blasting only when you want it to.... I'm sure a lot of people will be left with confused looks on their faces :)

Guest bastaad525

That's the same thing as what 660Z posted but the link he gave is selling theirs for WAY less. I like that this company will send there's with the cutout included though....

Anyone know any good, not-too-bulky throttle bodies from any car I can find at the JY, that are about 3" in opening diameter?

That's the same thing as what 660Z posted but the link he gave is selling theirs for WAY less. I like that this company will send there's with the cutout included though....

Anyone know any good' date=' not-too-bulky throttle bodies from any car I can find at the JY, that are about 3" in opening diameter?[/quote']

EXACTLY, where the hell do I find a 3" round TB? I've looked but couldn't find one. An option would be to go to a metal supply shop and see if they have any scrap circles laying around. Weld some rod for the pivoting motion for the plate and then weld the thing into some exhaust pipe, a lotta work tho, more than $30 worth....

Owen

Guest bastaad525

Well... I know there are 70mm TB's out there... that's pretty close to 3"... not sure what cars would have them though. Actually maybe there arent any on stock cars *shrug* maybe just aftermarket... not worth $200-400 just to use as a cutout :)

So use a 60mm TB... not quite 3" but still big enough to make a big difference in exhaust flow I'd say.

Guest 73TPIZ

100_0027.JPG

100_0028.JPG

100_0029.JPG

excuse the oil spray and the black soot. just found my elusive oil leak (aka chevy rustproofing) and the SDS on my kitchen counter should take care of the rich condition.

take care.

PS: Bastaad525, i'll try to email you a clip of it w/ sound. Sounds sweet.