HybridZ

Welding stainless tubing

deMideon

Yes. You'll need the wire (304L, 321, or 347 .024" or .030") and straight Argon as a shielding gas. Depending on the welder, you might need a new liner and rollers. Cut up some lengths of tubing and practice, practice, practice.

I've never seen flux core stainless wire for the el cheapo mig units. I have a Campbell/Hausfield mig and the only stuff I can find for it is regular steel wire. I have a TIG setup at work though, so I can fit up stuff in my garage and take it to work to weld up. You could probably assemble the exhaust using sleeves and clamps from Auto Zone/ Pep Boys/ Kragen/ Etc. It might not look as good, but will still be extremely corrosion resistant, as well as "adjustable" for a perfect fit. I would definitely have the pipe right after the collector welded though, it would suck to have your new stainless exhaust dragging on the ground due to a loose exhaust clamp :shock:

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Phailure

*n00b welding question*

can you weld aluminized steel? as in... can you weld it like normal mild steel with a mig welder?

Yes you can weld aluminized steel as normal with a MIG... just wire brush/grind off the aluminizing where you are welding, and don't breathe the vapours.

Also, it's impressive what a coat of high temp paint will do towards prolonging an exhaust system... It's well worth it on any mild steel exhaust system that you want to last IMHO.

I agree... i bought some of the high temp paint they sell at walmart in the silver color.. painted it up almost 2 years now still lookn' good. only a little surface rust on the flanges where i take the exhaust off.

So is the jury still out.. can you weld stainless with out argon?