HybridZ

Progress Pics!

Here are some pictures of the first test fit of the LT1. The T5 is also installed but I didn't take any shots of it.

I did the install in order measure where the tranny crossmember will be. I have been planning to use the Datsun crossmember and fab some hangers to replace the stock ones but I'm thinking it's not going to work. When I measured everything today the passenger side of the CM will be right against the tranny tunnel and the drivers side is pretty far out. I don't like the JTR method but maybe I'll use it anyway.

What do you guys think? Has anyone else used the Datsun CM and fabbed some hangers to mount it in the tranny tunnel? Please post some pics of it.

Here are some shots of the LT1 in the engine bay. I actually bolted it right through the original Datsun mount holes without slotting them and everything lined up very well. The engine could only go back about another 1/4 inch so I think I'll leave it where it is.

The full front shot

normal_Fullshot.JPG

Left side header, these are Headman Tight Tubes, lots of clearance.

normal_lsheader.JPG

Right side header, again lots of clearance

normal_rsheader.JPG

Engine bay shot

normal_bayshot.jpg

Still alot of work to do but it's getting there. If anyone has some software that can reduce the size of these let me know, my camera was set on high quality and the files are to big, Sorry.

BTW I noticed the bottom of the oil pan is about 1.5" below the front crossmember, is this normal or do I have weird pan. The engine is from 1995 Caprice Cop car.

Wheelman

Looks good!! No the pan location is normal.

You can use MS Paint to shrink your pictures....it's part of Windows, so you should have it.....Just open the picture in paint, click on "Image" on the toolbar, then select "Stretch/Skew" and then input the % of the original size that you want it shrunk to (60% will do). Remember to put 60 in both horizontal and verticle.....

Thanks Tim.

I'm a Software Engineer and didn't realize that M$ had updated Paint to handle JPG files. :? That'll teach me to make assumptions about the capabilities of the software included with Windows.

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and slot the motor mount holes to allow adjustment of the tranny alignment. I tried to measure it today but it's hard to get under the car. I need to put it back on the jack stands so I can check the alignment real good.

I'm also going to have to clearance the shifter hole a small amount but the shifter ended up right in the center of the hole front to back. I have a Camaro bellhousing so the shifter is tilted to the left which causes it to hit the left side of the hole when put into first and second.

Wheelman

I'll be installing my LT1 into my 78 next week or so. I modified the A/C to fit and had to reroute the pulleys, this took some time but Im their!

So I have bought a used cowl induction hood and need to get it to work correctly before I install the motor. I hate to get the motor in and wish I still could get to the hood latch later..

So I exspect to get a lot done this weekend if my wife don't eat up all my time.

love-my-V8-280Z,

I still need to deal with this issue, could you post some pictures of how you routed the belt.

I'm thinking about building my own bracket out of some 1/4" plate that will replace the AC and PS pulleys and locate them centered between where the original pulleys were. Does this make sense?

Wheelman