HybridZ

Can Anyone Tell Me...

Guest Big Purds

Guest Big Purds

the actual, (I mean ACTUAL) weight differences between the first gens? I have a 71 which is going to scrap frown.gif and have a 77 shell to place everything else into...

I would like to know the weight difference between the two cars if anyone out there knows this...

thanx,

Big Purds...

Guest Anonymous

280 about 460 pounds more than 240 (2355# for 240 and 2815# for 280 Z / PLUS more for auto tranny and air conD....) ie: bumpers 175 pounds... catalytic converter 25 lbs ...fuel injection/newer seat belts/ struts for rear hatch/larger fuel tank ETC. Check out the JTR Manual for specifics.

Guest Big Purds

where would I find the JTR manual?

how much of this weight is "sheddable"?

I am putting an L24 with triple Webers into a 77 after I pull it out of my 71...no a/c, no options at all really...5 speed...recaro seats, fibreglass front end...is there any place on the web where I would be able to calculate rough weight before and after?

thanx,

Big Purds

These weights were posted in another thread (I think in the chassis forum). I believe they were posted by Len.

70 240z - 2238 lbs

75-78 280z - 2875 lbs

Difference - 640 lbs

Guest Anonymous

Big Purds ..there is no exact weight down to ounces with a lot of variations in between for the 240 /280 weight comparison.The 280 diff, clutch pedal, and sway bar will probably add up to over 30 lbs if you add in the strut tubes for the hatch.Considering your options figure between 2300 to 2400 pounds. Do it and then weigh it if it comes under 2300 you will be lucky. Do a search.... there was a lot of members posting their vehicle weight in a single thread a while back

Comparing a completely bare 240Z shell to a completely bare 280Z shell (no sound deadener, no glass, no rubber, no doors/hatch/etc., and of course no mechanicals - nothing that doesn't unbolt or scrape off or unplug – the difference is or the order of 50 lbs. The 280 has longer and stronger frame rails, frame reinforcements fore and aft for the bumper shocks, and slight differences in the transmission tunnel, the door hinge mounts, the radiator lower crossmember, the spare tire well, the framing just aft of the mustache bar mounts, and probably in other places in minor amounts. There is some speculation that the floor boards and some other sheet metal components on the 280Z shell are heavier gauge than on the 240, though I have never seen conclusive evidence one way or the other. Cutting up the shell to save weight is not necessarily impractical or extreme, but it will require some courage and finesse. I have done this, with mixed results.

Guest Anonymous

I got out the charts and calculator it is exactly a 37 pound 12 ounce difference. Surprise, the 240 z weighs more due to the rust factor. a scientific fact: Rusty steel weighs more. Each year the un-restored rust factor goes up dramatically.