HybridZ

New to the Ford V8 fold

Guest 2FordEZ

Guest 2FordEZ

Greetings !

I recently finished my '72 Triumph TR6Rv Tiger 650 motorcycle and found myself wanting another project. My first car was a '79 2+2 and I have since owned 5 other 280s, 300s, and 280zx's. I have an incredible toy Z collection. I even went as far as writing Nissan when they stopped making the 300. They sent me a nice letter and some other stuff before the 350z came out. So, yeah, I'm a Z geek.

I went and bought a '70 240 z for $600 with the intentions of placing a 289 or 302 FI in it. I have been watching the forums for a few months. I think I want the automatic to avoid the master cylinder, slave cylinder problems.

Well, it's good to be "back to the drawing board" again.

I will be around for a while, gleaning information on my swap.

Coby

Don't let "master cylinder, slave cylinder problems" scare you. Several of us have solved that issue. I use a Tilton hydraulic throw out bearing, and Tilton clutch master cylinder. If you searh my old posts (circa 2000), you will find a complete parts list of my clutch set-up. Mine is not necessarily the best solution, but is has worked very well for me. Terry Oxendale uses a similar set-up, but I believe he uses a McCleod bearing.

Others have had success using the pull type slave cylinders. I haven't used one myself, but they look attractive because they attach external to the transmission. If you search the Ford section of this forum, you will find the needed part number and I believe a drawing of this set-up.

Either way, its not that difficult to do.

By the way, the Tilton master cylinders are direct bolt in replacements for the nissan clutch master cylinder and only cost ~ $70.00.

Agreed. I've got a 289 (was a 302 at one time) in my 204, with the hydraulic T/O bearing in a T-5, and love it. It is not hard to do, very simple, but will require some money for parts. Where in Arkansas are you located?