HybridZ

Do these tend to leak easily?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Recently had my transmission pulled to replace my clutch, rear main seal, and repair a few leaks on the transmission itself. The area that was leaking the worst was the seal where the shifter comes out of the tranny... I found that this was the major culprit for the oil leaking onto the exhaust and making such wonderful smells for me to enjoy while driving. Funny thing is, I've noticed on more than a few pics I've seen since then of Z drivetrains, that leaking in this area seems to be pretty common. Is there some known, common issue with this seal on the Z trannies? Should I be worried that the new seal they just replaced is going to live a limited life? For the first time since doing my turbo swap the Z is leak free... well except for my leaky differential :) but I'd like to think it will stay that way for a good long time.

Sure it's the seal?

A very common point of leakage is the pin with an "E" clip just forward of the shifter. Many times this pin (which is covered in sealant on both ends) is knocked free during rough installation or sotrage, and since it's right in the area of slinging gear oil, it leaks like a seive, and to good effect, puts the blame on the shifter section!

I actually had a tranny where someone had REMOVED the white sealant fro mthe ends of the pin, thinking it was the "shifter pin" you had to remove to get the shifter out! (Hey, it has and E-Clip on it!) Man that thing leaked suprisingly well! I ended up dropping it out to clean and fix the pin with a gob of epoxy on both sides.

Guest bastaad525

I dunno for sure, I didn't get a close look at it. The tranny shop that did my clutch swap pulled it and said that's what it was, took the tranny apart (extra $150 odd) and fixed whatever it was. Whatever it was they must have fixed it because I've been keeping a close eye on the ground where I park and havent seen any fresh leaks.

Guest bastaad525

man dont tell me that!!! well when it WAS leaking from that area, it pretty much only leaked directly onto the exhaust, and from there to the ground. The trans crossmember also had a lot of oil on it, but this may have been from the leaky rear main seal and the leak getting blown back. There was also quite a bit of oil on the floorpans (hey, this will protect me from rust, right???).

Well if it's still leaking they are fixing it for free!