HybridZ

motor shutting down?

Hi,Wild and Mike. The carb is not too hot. I can keep my bare hands on the carb. Although, the sheild did reduce the temp quite a bit than before. I may have to try a different material because I only have 1/2 inch of hood clearanse to the air filter. Maybe some carbon fiber, fiberglass or phenolic sheets? WickedWild, I did have to readjust my rocker's once. on the very first time I turned on the motor. It was making alot of noise, so I took of the valve cover's to discover that one of the rocker studs had loosened up. So I remover all the rocker's and torqued down all of the studs, just to make sure they were all tight. Then I readjusted the rockers as per the manuel. By the way I have the stock style hydrolic roller lifters. Mike. would fuel boiling in the bowls make the car run lean? Or make the car predetonate? I personally never expericed fuel boiling thing? so I have no reference to compare. Thanks for your input guys. :lol::lol:

Mike. would fuel boiling in the bowls make the car run lean? Or make the car predetonate? I personally never expericed fuel boiling thing? so I have no reference to compare. Thanks for your input guys. :lol::lol:

Yes it would, the fuel would be evaporating and would not supply the engine with enough fuel - lean. But if you can put your hand on your carb when the car stalls at it's hottest point, your fuel cannot be boiling.

Well. I have bad news and good news. I think i fond the problem. On another post that Grumpyvette stared on what kind of torque it takes to turn a shortblock assembly I discovered that my motor took 65 ft/lbs. So I drained the oil and removed the filter to see. What a shock. :shock: . The oil lokked like mother of pearl. All kinds of dark gray matter was coming out of the filter.and the oil was saturated in fine metal matter. I think my engine builder screwed up. I did find it kind of funny that my oilpressure was so high at 50psi at only 900 rpm. I think the the bearings are too tight. The piston rings are sealing, because there is still no colored smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Man I hate this. Now I have to pull the motor out for sure. Saved the oil and filter to show the engine builder what I found. I think I only have 4 hours of run time on this motor. And yes guys. I did prime the motor with the distributer out and I used an electric drill to prime the oil pump. Well at least my gut feeling was right after all. Thanks for all your input guys. Wish me luck. And I was so looking foward to attending the national convenction this month. And I already paid for the willow springs and the car show dates. Damn. :evil:

Dude, Don't give up yet, there is still time. It shouldn't take more than a couple of days to get the engine clearances sorted out. Another day to install back into the car, and away you go. It's doable.....trust me, I know!!!!

Tim