HybridZ

S30 VIN Number and VIN Searches (California)

Zhadman

I bought my '73 6-8 months ago to restore/hybrid-ize and haven't really payed much attention to it's registration. I have all my documentation in order and since my plan (initially) was to make it 'track-only' I never went forward with getting the car registered for highway use. Plans, however, change and I've decided I want to use the car on the streets, too... so I need to register it.

I was going through my car this weekend and I noticed that all the VIN plates (door jam and dash) were missing, though the number on the firewall is unmarred. I called the DMV and had them run the VIN to check the cars registration history. They had nothing in their records. In California, I was informed, if a car's registration is expired for 5 years the records are expunged. They suggested I do a VIN search to see what, if any, information could be found. The problem I have now encountered is that every VIN search agency I could find requires a 17 digit VIN number (all cars '81 on are required to have atleast a 17 digit number).

I want to make sure that someone hadn't stolen the VIN plates and are masquerading their car as my '73. Common sense would dictate that, to avoid stolen VIN issues, the DMV (or applicable state agency) would visually inspect the car to verify the correct VIN stamping. We're talking about the government :roll: though...

Has anyone had similar issues? Any suggestions? Anyone found out that their VIN's were hi-jacked?

Well if that VIN is not in the DMV computer, then no-one, at least in CA, has registered under that VIN. You will just need to do a vin verification, and maybe have a new VIN tag made for the dash (the VIN has to be visible through the window). My Z was off the DMV records also, but it isn't a problem...

Tim

Well if that VIN is not in the DMV computer, then no-one, at least in CA, has registered under that VIN.

I let out a big sigh of relief when I found out the number was off thier records. I'm just hoping someone didn't take the plates out of state. Did your car have all it's plates? Likely I will have to have the CHP issue me new ones.

Mine did have plates, but that's irrelevant.

I ordered vanity plates anyways, which is done through the DMV. CHP doesn't need to be involved at all. Just get a one day temp. reg. from the DMV (or AAA), take it in, let them verify the VIN, and that's it!

Tim