HybridZ

My heart is torn... how cani make my l28 more "driveabl

OK im still having trouble deciding what to do on my car. I wanna do an rb swap but im thinking that the money i spend on that could be used to better the car in other areas that might be a little more worthwhile for me.

Heres the thing though. I wanna know what i can do to my engine to make it more reliable and smoother, easier to drive day to day. My goal for the car was to have something that was more of a daily driver. Take a classic and make it modern in a sense.

My l28et is pretty rough, very tempermental, and hard to start. It has to warm up for a good little while before i can drive it. I also dont like the fact about how rough and slow it revs up. i guess i just want the engine to run smoother and have better throttle response. Ive driven a 300zx N/A and two BMW 325's and i really like the response/smoothness both cars have. I could rape them in my 260 but its not as graceful you could say. I also cant get much over 17-18 mph. Being 17 i cant afford to pay 100-180 bucks a month in gas.... Oh and ive blown two pistons in about a year and im tired of it smoking.

Basically heres what i figure if i stay with the l28 platform i can do:

forged pistons/gapless rings (8.5+:1 c/r)

cam/ valve springs (so i can get power to 7k)

fully balanced

lightened flywheel

external wastegate

throttle cable

550cc injectors

Who has done these mods and what kind of improvements did you see? I should be able to pull 400++ hp from my setup withthe above mods i suppose.

Somebody try and convince me to keep my l28. Im torn

-Austin

Guest ON3GO

you know what i say to do as we spoke on aol...

build the L28ET and get it tuned correctly..

also maybe upgrade the ems to something way more advanced and would allow for more/better tuning.

Mike

Guest ON3GO

so do many of the guys on here... i think theres just as much L28ET swapped S30 Z's then there is V8 S30 Z's on this board...

Mike

Guest ON3GO

hehe yeah i know.. but i can reply to what Tim said..

Hey Tim.. why would he want to put a V8 in it? he wants to keep and drive his car, not build it and sell it in 2 weeks! we all know your selling it cuz of the V8.

HAHHAHA

Mike

Austin, Have you had your car dyno tuned, or has it just been you messing around with the SDS (oh man I hope you actually have SDS, I cant remember for sure) Ive found with mine, having been screwing around with the SDS myself, its driveable, but not as good as I know it can be. I havent had any warm up problems or driveability problems with the SDS.

Its funny that you compare driveability to a 325i. We have one here and I cant stand the power delivery on it. I find it hard to drive in normal traffic as it makes no torque. it revs out nicely but thats only fun when no one is around.

I guess my vote would be to get your car dyno tuned. If it already has been.... then I guess you should do an RB swap :)

hehe yeah i know.. but i can reply to what Tim said..

Hey Tim.. why would he want to put a V8 in it? he wants to keep and drive his car' date=' not build it and sell it in 2 weeks! we all know your selling it cuz of the V8.

HAHHAHA

Mike[/quote']

At least it's a completed project!!

And hey...someone needed to say it...it's obligatory on this board!! :D:D:D

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming!

You need a aftermarket efi system that you can program the fuel delivery and ignition curve based on throttle position, rpm, manifold pressure, engine temp, and manifold air temp. You already knew that answer.

Guest Anonymous

Or you could just sell it to me. :D I saw you car at the independence Nissan car show last year. Would love to buy it if you ever decide to sell it. Mark

Thanks for the replies guys, what changes has any body noticed from stock after having their engine balanced?

Mark, lets trade and its a deal. :wink: You're car is beautiful!! BUt seriously the car wont ever be for sale at least not for a long time, but the engine may be., wasnt sure which you were talking about. Hope to see you there again this summer!

Tim78zt: Im running SDS em4-6f engine managment. Was your temp sensor advince for any system in general??

As for the v8 guys out there, there will never be a v8 in my car unless somebody was to drop a chevy corvette engine at my garage for free. Or perhaps the BMW m5 v8, that would do

Guest Tim78zt

yeah, it was meant as a general comment...I knew you had SDS, but you must have some sort of coolant sensor controlling startup and warmup modes. Swap that sensor and see what happens. I can't help you with those pistons though!!

Tim78zt

plainswolf this is for you ---> :malebitchslap:

well i think i may stick with the l28. Its a way for me to learn more about building engines as i think im gonna tear this one apart and build it for 400+ hp. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

anyhow, im thinking that an rb might be a lil impractical due to the limited availibilty of parts etc.

Im thinking a kick ass suspension setup would be more practical for me right now too soo.... ill play with the l28 for a while longer.

Ive have had the car on a mustang dyno for more then four hours with a motec wide band o2 sensor running. So.... my fuel mixture is pretty good, but still get poor gas milage, perhaps its too good, i dunno.

-Austin

Dyno tuning is generally only good for WOT. I can't remember what features the Mustang dynos have available, but if you were doing power runs (similar to what you would to on a DynoJet), you won't make much of a dent in your driveability problems.

If you were able to set the Mustang dyno to maintain a constant load and speed then it's a different story, but most of the driveability stuff just requires some know-how and street tuning. Transient response is hard to get right on a dyno.

...and unless the dyno was in an environmental chamber, it won't do squat for cold start.

What sensors are you using? I couldn't tell what you have and what you are doing without. Also, what cam are you running and how is it set up?

On the poor gas mileage, what AFR are you running at cruise? Exhaust temps?