HybridZ

My heart is torn... how cani make my l28 more "driveabl

240Hoke:

Your engine buildup seems like a solid one. I might suggest you one thing though. Are you actually driving your car everyday? I know how it is to be working on your daily driver while you still need it to get to work/school! How about finding yourself a beater car or truck that gets good gas mileage, that you can drive while you concentrate on building your 400 hp engine. This is what I've done while building my ZXT, and I could not imagine having to rebuild the engine and not having a car to drive. You will also get a multi-car discount with your insurance. A turbo car is very tempermental, and I don't trust the reliability of it when pushing the limits. 2 or 3 cylinders went out on my engine at the racetrack (granted, God knows how many miles were on that engine). Now I am swapping in an actual turbo engine. I was using the NA block with higher compression, so after the swap I will be able to comment better on the responsiveness of the turbo engine, but I believe that the only change is that I will have to put my foot in it a little more :-D If you are deadset on a fast and reliable daily driver, I have to suggest looking at the SBC option... Although, like you, I am not giving up on a forged piston/turbo L6!

fast and reliable daily driver, I have to suggest looking at the SBC option

Turbos can be just a reliable as any SBC buildup... given that you aren't trying to run 14psi without an intercooler or adequate fueling. :P I'm beginning to think like John, what is up with all you turbo guys blowing up engines? :shock: Just because you can run more boost, doesn't mean you should! :wink:

Alrighty on the blowing engine thing:

1st time: poor tuning striaght up, thats all i can say

2ed time: faulty wastegate, im in the process of porting it out now, i had lots-0-boost creep and hit 20psi on the interstate with my 370cc injectors, i think thats what caused it :roll:

we will see how it turned out, i found out i could do alot of porting to the wastegate hole, because my flapper is so large.

anyway right now heres my planned mods:

-forged pistons

-balance engine

-550+ cc injectors ?? how big should i go for ~400 hp?

-fuel pressure regulator

maybes:

-external wastegate

-different engine managment

-lightened flywheel

• 2 years later...

I just took my L28et swapped 280 for a spin on the highway today. I still have no exhaust and still no proper I/C piping, but it was fun all the same. Still having major problems setting up cold idle and start, and it's still pig rich at WOT because I don't want to risk detonation.

I love it already, though, with no exhaust people near me kept looking for the peterbilt :oP

i have pulled 25-26 mpg on freeway with my l28et 77z.thats with a megasquirt run from a innovate motorsports wide band set up.along time ago before the turbo engine i did a major tune up on the old l28.new injectors ,removed smog junk and built a recurved distributor-can was kind of fast that way and drove very well.its all in the tuning.freeway i run 14.3-14.5 af with about 35 degrees advance.

280z has exhaust now....amazingly quiet...quiet as stock, can actually hear the rear end whining a bit (haven't heard that in about 2 years!)

Took it for 120mi trip yesterday, the boost leak makes it sound like a hoover but it's coming along! Today I'm installing the innovate LC-1 that arrived today! Let the tuning begiN!