HybridZ

what swap should i do on Z31?

Guest 85tzcheees

Guest 85tzcheees

my engine on my 85 turbo 300zx is dead, i broke my headgaskets about a week ago and gets horrible gas mileage( about 12 mpg). Low compression and its just a pain, the engine has about 250+ K miles on it.

so i am planning to do an engine swap, but not sure what to go with, i am planning to do almost everything myself and i can swap it and put the tranny and change about everything so i dont really care how difficult the tasks will be unless there are really big fabrication/welding procedures.

i can go with:

rebuilt VG30ET(stock),easiest of all swaps but i would have stock hp and trq.

rebuilt VG33E(3.3 liter) and put the Z31 crankshaft and all accessories and turbo,

Carb'd 350 sbc(want a corvette or Z28/Trans Am) how much hp/trq do these have?what kinda gas mileage will this give me?

or EFI 350/5.7(corvette or Z28/Trans Am),hardest of all swaps but the most hp and trq but also most expensive. gas mileage?

if u guys were willing to spend about 3-4 thousand, what will u guys go with, and remember i will put everything in myslef so no cost on mechanics.

LS1

Again, you're light on funds for this swap too, but it would be a very satisfying ride. The motor has a nice low profile and should clear the stock hood, one of the issues with a V8 swap into the Z31. Don't believe it's been done before either. It's lighter than the 6 you're pulling out. 300+/300+ horsepower/torque, ya baby. Gas mileage should be better too if you keep your foot out of it. But why would you want to do that?

Add another $2k to your budget and watch every dime and it could be done.

Guest Aaron

Carb'ed is going to be out. You are in California, and will have to use an engine the same year model or newer than the one you are pulling out.

Guest 85tzcheees

i have been looking for an LS1 on ebay and they are around 3 thousand with ecu and accessories, i will probably go with one of those. thanx again for ur info.